Watching the junks go by

A place for the artistic folks to post their latest creations and seek feedback.

Watching the junks go by

Postby timid-wolf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 am

I had this idea awhile ago that I was gonna do drawings of Kayko touring various countries as a macro. That never really happened. Before losing interest I ended up doing only one of him in India, and of course this one in China.

Chinese Junks have always fascinated me. They are unique among boat designs, and seeing them in China and Hong Kong was common even past the 1970's.

Looking back on this picture though, I'm not particularly proud of how it came out. His anatomy is a bit off and the whole this feels a bit empty and stiff.
Attachments
phpClFqMVPM.jpg
phpClFqMVPM.jpg (67.75 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
timid-wolf
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby WilyWolf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:27 pm

I think it looks great! Then again, My opinion doesn't really count cause I can't draw diddly doo.
Yeah I'm a pawslut. Don't judge!
WilyWolf
Attack of the 50ft
Attack of the 50ft

Location: For all you know, stuck to the bottom of your foot.

Postby F74m3F0x » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 am

I like it! Especially the boats, they are an interesting design. Most of Asian designs are.
F74m3F0x

Postby DD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:21 am

I like the anatomy and everything in this one

very well done, dude
DD
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby JohnSheppard339 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:50 am

I like your work bro. Quick question. What are the lines on his chest? (Don't be offended by me asking questions, I need everything spelled out lol)

I also like the boats. Not many people seem to know that the Asians had that design.

FUN FACT! Did you know that when the Asians were still into exploration their ships were about the size of a modern battleship?
Sheppard Out
JohnSheppard339
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby timid-wolf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 am

JohnSheppard339 wrote:I like your work bro. Quick question. What are the lines on his chest? (Don't be offended by me asking questions, I need everything spelled out lol)

I also like the boats. Not many people seem to know that the Asians had that design.

FUN FACT! Did you know that when the Asians were still into exploration their ships were about the size of a modern battleship?

Oh, no, no! I'm not offended in the least ^^. Its supposed to be his scale pattern. I just liked that pattern better than the traditional horizontal scale pattern you see on dragons. He's supposed to be a hybrid of wolf and dragon.

Yeah, it actually really surprised me how few people know about them, and even fewer knew their name. apparently for thousands of years their designs were ahead of european ships. They pioneered, among other things, the stern mounted rudder.

Actually, no. I didn't know that. I knew they were big though
timid-wolf
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby JohnSheppard339 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:30 pm

timid-wolf wrote:
JohnSheppard339 wrote:I like your work bro. Quick question. What are the lines on his chest? (Don't be offended by me asking questions, I need everything spelled out lol)

Oh, no, no! I'm not offended in the least ^^. Its supposed to be his scale pattern. I just liked that pattern better than the traditional horizontal scale pattern you see on dragons. He's supposed to be a hybrid of wolf and dragon.

Yeah, it actually really surprised me how few people know about them, and even fewer knew their name. apparently for thousands of years their designs were ahead of european ships. They pioneered, among other things, the stern mounted rudder.

Actually, no. I didn't know that. I knew they were big though

Lol thanks. I like the pattern. Hybrid always confuse me, where one begins and the other ends.

No one knows what junks are its kind of funny.

I cant find the article where I read it but they compared them to modern battleships
Sheppard Out
JohnSheppard339
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Return to Macro Art