5%
Abstain
11%

Total votes : 37

Candidate: Arilin

Postby bennie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Userinfo: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=56

Arilin posted this summary of herself in another thread:

Arilin wrote:Despite being virtually invisible on this board, I'm tempted to suggest myself as a moderator.

Pros:
  • I've been in furry fandom since the late '80s and on macrophile.com since the late '90s. I'm pretty well known.
  • I've been a moderator/sysop on bulletin boards and RP sites before.
  • I have some fairly strong opinions about what makes a good moderator.
  • I'm middle-aged, and less likely to fly off the handle.
  • I know a lot about computers. (I could recommend other bulletin board software, although migration would undoubtedly be a pain.)
  • Bennie already knows me in real life and physical contact info isn't too tough to obtain. (I live less than a half-hour away.)
  • I'm basically nice; people aren't too likely to complain about me being a big jerkass.
Cons:
  • I'm virtually invisible on this board, although to some degree that has to do with the lack of good moderation here.
  • There are people who dislike me for fascinatingly spurious reasons. (I'm a "big name" and thus must be treated like an egotistical jerk; they went to the Giants' Club and didn't have a good time; they fanboyed at me, I acted like a deer in headlights, and they decided that I was an egotistical jerk; etc.)
  • You may not like my fairly strong opinions about what makes a good moderator.
  • I'm middle-aged, and may beat you with my cane.
  • I'm basically nice; one could make a good case that I don't suspend/ban people at the Giants' Club often enough.
So what are those strong opinions?

Actually, most of my strong opinions were expressed really well by Teresa Nielsen Hayden, but it boils down to this quote from her: "There can be no ongoing discourse without some degree of moderation, if only to kill off the hardcore trolls. It takes rather more moderation than that to create civil discourse. Providing the space but not tending the conversation is like expecting that your front yard will automatically turn itself into a garden." The sites she's tended have been somewhat more focused on heavy literary discussion than M.com ever will be (or should be), but there's still some applicable lessons here.

One problem that we're seeing here is that M.com's forums have largely been left to fend for themselves for years. There have been a few attempts by users to do, in effect, moderation by trolling -- but that's the forum equivalent of weeding by flamethrower. It may get some of the audience clapping with glee, but it's destructive, not constructive.

The other problem, of course, is that forums are frankly a little passé in 2012. As much as there may be to complain about with FurAffinity, it's simply a better way to showcase art and writing. I think this could be ameliorated to a degree by switching software -- my recommendation would be Vanilla, which has some pretty awesome features that directly address things talked about in this thread (moderation, banning, and onboarding new users) and, well, feels like modern software in a way phpBB doesn't -- but the question that really need to be answered is: why come here in addition to FurAffinity or SoFurry?
bennie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Vote For Moderators