Calipso's Pearl (In the Empty Black RP)

A place for the artistic folks to post their latest creations and seek feedback.

Calipso's Pearl (In the Empty Black RP)

Postby Blackhart » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:00 am

Use this child-quality rendering of the ship to picture where you are onboard.

(Please ignore this if you're not in the roleplay. It's the only place I could think to post... :? )
Attachments
CalipsosPearlPaint.png
The EAS Calipso's Pearl, a high-tech transport craft and easy-fun coloring book assignment!
CalipsosPearlPaint.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Back from the abyss, a dark beast rises.
Its scales as black as earthen coal.
Its eyes as green as emeralds bright
Wand'ring without heart or soul

Blackhart, the four-foot, cotton-candy flavored black leopard gecko returns.
Blackhart
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Re: Calipso's Pearl (In the Empty Black RP)

Postby Blackhart » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 am

Engine: Self-explanatory.

Engineering: Tool storerooms, some system controls, main supply/recovery base for engineers.

Storage: Self-explanatory; everything from large luggage to land vehicles is stored here.

Shuttle Bay: This outer portion of the ship stores a small group of space-worthy shuttles for movement outside the ship.

Living Decks: This is where everyone who is not in cryostasis or in a high-ranking position sleeps. Mostly passengers and low-level crewmen.|

Medical: The medical bay is a crucial part of the ship, and so is located by the areas where most of the populace is likely to be. Medical staff keep things running smoothly, even in rough situations.

Cryogenics: Cryogenics is actually a subsection of Medical, due to its nature as storing several hundred passengers in cryostasis for the journey. Cryo tubes are also used to keep patients in serious condition alive while treatments are prepared, and can be used as makeshift prison chambers in dire need.

Command Deck: The command deck occupies two levels: a lower free-access area with a wide viewing deck for passengers and crewmen alike, and the bridge from which the captain can oversee and direct all work and duties aboard the Pearl.

The Vein: The Vein, so called by the engineers onboard, is a small under-layer of the ship that can be used to quickly get from one end to another, if you don't mind tight spaces. It also connects to some of the more vital areas of the Pearl.

Ship Core: Within the Core, the Pearl's Artificial Intelligence can see everything, and she does her best to keep things running smoothly and assist the crew and passengers when her services are required.
Back from the abyss, a dark beast rises.
Its scales as black as earthen coal.
Its eyes as green as emeralds bright
Wand'ring without heart or soul

Blackhart, the four-foot, cotton-candy flavored black leopard gecko returns.
Blackhart
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Re: Calipso's Pearl (In the Empty Black RP)

Postby Altaica » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Hello.

While I'm not in your RP I hope you don't mind some observations from somefur who is very familiar with star ship design, I am the commander of WEA/DEF/SEC (Weapons/Defense/Security) on board the Lion's Den.

An image of it can be found here: http://lionkingcmsl.deviantart.com/art/ ... -180717915

I know it is too late to change your design, but even with a non-combatant ship there are some glaring defensive weaknesses.
The first I will point out is the "Star Trek" mentality of putting your CNC (Command and Control) in an exposed area. It was required when you did not have the technology for high resolution 360 degree imaging systems, in system craft, smaller craft, like shuttles, and on surface ships; but not so much on interstellar craft, where there isn't much to see. In contrast, on the Lion's Den, the bridge is buried in the center of the ship down on deck nine, so it is very well protected from threat forces. The problem of having your bridge up on top was featured in the old "Star Trek" episode: Doomsday Machine.

The same goes for your "Core". At least the creators of "Star Trek" got this one right. Probably even more than your CNC, your "Core" needs to be well protected. Even an interstellar transport depends heavily on their computer systems. On the LD the core is located adjacent to the bridge and is in its own "bunker". As "Star Trek:TNG" featured, multiple cores, widely separated, running parallel is even better The loss of one core will not endanger the whole ship.

The medical section should also be more protected. A unlucky hull breach means your entire sickbay is lost to you.

I hope you do not see this as being overly critical of your design, but more of a critique; very different. Being a fur that was trained in those three aforementioned areas I am very attuned to other ships strengths and weaknesses.

Understand that I'm making my observations on the simplified drawing you have presented and have not seen the full schematics of your ship.
A complete orthogonal plan set for the Lion's Den, plus basic specs can be found here: http://lionkingcmsl.deviantart.com/art/ ... -180078888
The basic specs are in the description.

Hope your RP goes well.
Currently out of system on the Lion's Den.

Head of WEA/DEF/SEC for the Lion's Den.
Commander Altaica Powell
Altaica
Gojira
Gojira

Return to Macro Art