Dreams of Grandeur

Archive of the "Macro Story" forum.

Dreams of Grandeur

Postby dragonien » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Heres the first chapter of a story ive started writing based on a couple of kinda weird dreams ive had lately. And sorry i havent been working on the Awakening im almost done wiht chapter 3 but have hit a writers block ^^;;

Dont hurt me! take this as an offering to not beat me with sticks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The soft, white bedsheets lay in a pile on the floor, having long since been tossed away. On the bed a furry figure tossed and turned, mumbling in his sleep as his dreams tormented him. Suddenly He sat straight up in bed, panting heavily as beads of sweat ran down his muzzle and half naked form. Rasping, shallow breaths gasped in and out of his mouth as he patted his body over with his paws, as if making sure he was still himself. He'd had another one. Another of those dreams.

His name was Issac Thompson, your everyday anthro wolf. He about five foot eight inches to the head, with a bit added with his ears. Although it didn't show very much he did do a generous amount of exercise, keeping him in shape with a lean muscle structure and minimal excess body fat. His body was covered from head to toe in a smooth, though slightly shaggy brown fur. Usually he wore a pair of faded jeans and a T-shirt of varying color every day. The only thing about him that could even begin to be called out of the ordinary was that he had his left ear pierced 2 times, each one having a small gold ring in it.

His life went on as normal. Just a normal College, just a normal Job after school, and just a normal family. The only thing that wasn't normal about him were his dreams. Every night they were different. Every night strange events happened within them. And every night when he awoke panting for breath, feeling exhausted he couldn't remember any of what had happened in the dream. But this next night would be different. This next night would be one he would never forget.

The day went as normal for Issac. He went to his high school, took a couple of tests, ran a few laps around the track then got out. His job was a bit worse than how it usually went, some of the customers at the fast food restraunt he worked at had been causing several problems and threatening to sue. When he got home he was totally exhausted, dropping down onto his bed without even undressing. He was tired of the mediocrity of his life, how there rarely was any change in it from day to day. He wished for something more. Just as he was thinking about what life would be if he lived in a different time, a different world... the sweet darkness of sleep and the dreamworld overtook him.

His eyes fluttered open as consciousness returned to him. As his senses adjusted to his surroundings he noticed a few very important details. The ground underneath him, it wasn't the normal feel of his soft feather bed, but cold cobblestones. The air was filled with a strange scent almost like steam. The wolf lifted his head up to get a look around and let out a gasp of surprise. He was in a train station.

And it wasn't any normal one either. The sky was a strange purplish color, with several red dots lining it as if the stars had changed color. The ground was made of a dark blue colored stonework pattern, seeming to form into a design he couldn't make out from his position on the floor. Infront of him was a large stone archway, made of the same blue stone and in the middle of it sat a small ticket booth. Surrounding the train platform were several brightly lit lamps that glowed a bright yellow light across the station. As he looked around he noticed movement from the small booth inside the archway, as if someone was inside. With a quiet groan, the confused wolf climbed to he feet and walked over to the booth.

“Welcome to the Maboroshi Station, I am the ticket master.” came a strange, slightly echoing male voice from the person in the booth. It was strange, indescribable. Despite Issac looking directly at the person within the booth, he couldn't for the life of him see what he looked like. The glass was clear, and easy to see through it was just... he couldn't SEE the ticket master. It was like one of those people you would dream about, you could see them perfectly fine but they were indescribable. Really all he could make out was a humanoid shape and what looked like long black hair, but the rest simply wouldn't register in his mind.

“um... Wh... where am i?” Issac asked in a shaky voice, feeling rather uncomfortable with the unknown person that was the ticket master.

“why, i just told you lad. Your in the Maboroshi Station, gateway to the world!” The Ticket Master said in a dramatic tone.

Before Issac could ask anymore questions a dull, echoing tone sound blasted through the area and almost deafened the poor wolf's hearing. Far off in the distance Something strange could be seen. White. Unusual, floating blurs of white rapidly approaching the train station. They had no faces, no shapes or forms, but they all gave off the same feeling. A feeling of Evil.

“Quickly, board the train, they come!” The Ticket Master urged Issac, slipping a ticket past the glass to him.

“huh? But wha.. whats going on? What are those?” He asked, the white blurs getting ever closer. Behind the ticket booth a loud whistle pierced the cool night air, signaling the trains impending departure.

“GO!” the Ticket master urged once again, then seemed to just fade out of sight.

As the White beings got closer, just approaching the stone workings of the station an loud, painfully so, screech emitted from the nearest one. The sound alone drove Issac to his kneels, grasping his ears and yelping in pain. It was barely twenty feet away from him now, and he knew he had to get away. The trains pistols were just starting to rev up as it was starting to coast out of the station. Struggling a bit against the pain in his ears, he got to his feet and ran for all he was worth towards the train. Something about the screeching sound was affecting him. His muscles burned painfully as if he'd been running nonstop for hours on end. His head pounded with the worst migraine he'd ever felt and his stomach felt like it was about to empty itself all over the ground right there.

Despite the sickness, pain, and suffering it was causing he made one last, desperate leap towards the end of the train. His paw barely caught the railing on the end of the caboose, and from there he was able to pull himself on board. Immediately he collapsed onto the cold metal of the trains floor and threw up the contents of his stomach, the effects of the thing's screeching starting to fade but still quite strong. With a weak glance back at the station he could see them swarming all over it, seeming to turn the whole area around the station into a dull, colorless area. The blue cobblestones, the silvery tracks, the lights at the station. All of it was drained of its color, of its life.

“What the hell?” He asked himself aloud, staring in amazement and horror at what was happening. He had regained enough of his motor functions to get back up to his feet and lean against the door, watching. What had just happened? And what would've happened if he had still been there? After a bit more thought he decided it would probably be a good idea to get inside the train. With a soft groan he got off the door and turned to it, reaching for the handle and walking inside.

This was going to be one long dream.
RAWR I'm a dragon!

Avatar Created, Updated, and Properly Fitted by Twitch.

dragonien
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Mat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:55 pm

This is interesting, it seems to be quite eventful and has plenty of directions for the story to go.
You've written it really well and given it plenty of action to keep the reader hooked, nice work.
Mat
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:39 pm

I am really digging this, Drago - you're use of detail is great, and everything is so bizarre yet easily picturable.
Hella nice job 8)
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Whitefang » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:24 am

Rawr, I'm with Zuke on this one, it definitely holds the interest with the strange twists and turns around every corner. I still say it reminds me of Harry Potter in a way with the magical train station and the screaming things coming at him would be the Sentinals (right? o.O). I'm very curious to see where this goes, and it does inspire me to write again.....just after finals when I have time and the energy to do so XD plus get that whole birthday crap out of the way *Chuckles*

Keep it up Drago!
Whitefang
Getting Bigger
Getting Bigger

Postby zukezorin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:19 am

The vibe I got from this was totally original; thats part of what I love about it. I get the strange feeling an all shadow man with a cane and top hat will show up, and thats the beauty of it! As absurd an idea as that is, in context its just as plausable as any other. Truly, a world of possibilities.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Tombman13 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:57 pm

Hmm I;m not good at leaving good/long comments but...

from what you have so far, it sounds good and how you began things have really drawn me in, making me want to know what is happening!

Great job ^^
Tombman=Writer, Zombie-Survivalist, and one of da Chaos Boyz!

"I hope youhave Hobo Stab Insurance"!!

If you wish to be a good reader, read; if you wish to be a good writer, write.
-Epictetus, Discourses
Tombman13
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby dragonien » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:08 am

heres chapter 2. My brain exploded on how fast it cae out @_@, i am not meant to write fast >_<

Well i hope you enjoy it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issac was met with a rather surprising sight when he entered the back part of the train. There was nothing in it. No chairs, no benches, nothing. The only thing that lined the empty train car was the thick scarlet carpeting that covered the floors and walls. Small square windows were set in the walls, making breaks in the otherwise smooth carpeted layout. There weren't even any lamps in the car, the dim lighting seemed to come from nowhere. At the end of the car was another metallic door exactly like the one he had just entered through.

Before he could take more than a step into the car a quiet squeaking sound could be heard from somewhere. The wolf froze in place, listening for the sound and expecting something to leap out and gut him at any moment. Instead the sound could be heard, a bit louder and, to Issac's surprise it wasn't some monster's growl or anything like that. It sounded like someone speaking very quietly.

Perking his ears, and making as little noise as possible he was barely able to make it out. “Hey, you! I'm down here. Come on, down here and watch where you step!” the squeaky voice said. The wolfish ears swiveled around a bit as they tried to figure out where the sound was coming from, his head turning back and forth before finally looking down. When Issac Glanced down towards the floor he let out a gasp of surprise and took a step back reflexively. There on the floor was a positively tiny Person.

They couldn't have been more than a one or two inches tall at the most, but besides that they, or should I say He looked normal. He had a fluffy coat of golden fur covering the visible parts of his body. He wore what looked like a light blue tuxedo, with a small red rose in the pocket above the tiny retriever's heart. Everything about him was perfectly normal, except for the fact that he barely came up past Issac's ankle.

The little retriever walked a few steps closer to the surprise wolf and spoke up towards him in his quiet, squeaky voice “hello there, Names Dustin. I'm the conductor of this train.” With that said He offered a tiny paw up towards Issac to shake, then almost immediately pulled it back. “Er maybe shaking isn't such a great idea...” Dustin added.

Issac was still freaking out over the fact that there was a tiny retriever talking to him, and the first words that exited his muzzle were “So small!” in a rather loud voice.

“I'm small...bright observation genius. Get over it. Now that we've got that out of the way, could you show me your ticket!” The micro replied in a rather irritated tone. The much larger wolf took a moment to calm himself then knelt down in front of Dustin to get a better look. This only annoyed the Retriever even further, and he showed it with his agitated look on his face. “if your done ogling me now that is.”

“ticket?.. Oh right! The ticket!” Issac said, then held out the now crumpled ticket that he had unintentionally grasped a bit too hard during his escape. With both of his tiny paws Dustin took it from Issac's paw and held it in front of him like a newspaper, inspecting it.

As Dustin read the ticket, the scenery outside the train was rapidly changing. From the normal, dark green grasslands where they had been before the ground suddenly gave away! The Tracks were supported in mid air by huge metal pillars attacked to the ground far below. The thing was, that far below could not be seen. If one was to look out one of the windows all they would be able to see in any direction was the clear, purple sky, as well as miles and miles of thick white fog below them. It was like a swirling collection of all the clouds ever to exist, making anything below their milky white surface completely unnoticeable.

Back inside Dustin folded the Ticket a couple of times and held it underneath an arm. “everything is in order it seems. Welcome aboard! We should be reaching Caelum City in just a few minutes.” Dustin informed Issac. Almost immediately afterwards The micro turned around and started walking down the car towards the next one.

“W..wait! Mr. Dustin!” Issac called out after him, hoping that the retriever might be able to explain what was going on. But the tiny dog ignored Issac, and opened up a much smaller version of the door placed within the big one and walked through. With a sigh, Issac decided to just wait till the train arrived at wherever it was going. Maybe he could figure out something there.

Slowly he walked over to one of the small, square windows to take a look outside and when he saw it he gasped. It wasn't just the endless sea of Fog that traveled on as far as his sight could tell, but what the train was heading for that took his breath away. A city. It was massive, on the grandest of scales. The tallest building had to be at least a mile tall, gleaming a bright golden color. many of the other buildings came up almost as tall, all that same shiny shade of gold. That wasn't The only thing that made it amazing. Surrounding the entire city was a massive, circular globe of solid glass. There were only two places on the whole surface of it where it wasn't completely smooth, and they seemed to be stations of some kind, Probably for the train. All together, with the combined light of the Dawn just beginning to break overhead it looked like a flaming city of the purest of gold, encased within a bubble of protective sparkling diamond. The rarest of treasures.

The train let out a shrill whistle as it the screeching of the brakes signaled it was slowing down as it approached the station. Issac was suddenly thrown forward near the front of the car as the train pulled to a drastically fast stop.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

“Welcome passengers, to Caelum City, center of the oceans of mist.” came a familiar voice on the intercom, Dustin. Shaking his head a bit The wolf crawled back to his feet and headed for the side door as it slid open with a hissing sound. He stepped out onto the polished marble platform and looked around at the towering, golden city.

Meanwhile, several miles away something was approaching. Something formless... something silvery... something evil. And soon, it would be upon them.
RAWR I'm a dragon!

Avatar Created, Updated, and Properly Fitted by Twitch.

dragonien
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Mat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:04 am

I'm surprised by how quickly you were able to get the second part of this story out, it has the same good quality as the first piece, nice work.
You have done a good job writing it so far, your writing seems to improve quite a lot with each thing you create.
Nice work ending it with a cliffhanger, makes me wonder what's going to happen next. :D
Mat
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Whitefang » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:15 am

I've always loved that technique, leave something horridly unclear at the end of the chapter, something meanacing or a climax point, and you pulled it off again XD Darn you! Keep it up Drago!
Whitefang
Getting Bigger
Getting Bigger

Postby zukezorin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:35 am

Wow, Drago - this just keeps getting better and better. The train, the bottomless chasm, the fog.... A golden city in a glass dome. Its just so cool.

I'm awaiting the next parts even more now, and Ill punch you if you stop :o
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Next

Return to Archive: Macro Story