From the Country to the City. (outside my usual series)

Archive of the "Macro Story" forum.

From the Country to the City. (outside my usual series)

Postby Duct Tape Fanatic » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:30 am

"Today's the day," Gary Smith announced to his wife over coffee that morning. "Lily, I know you and I both have been putting this off for years, but,well, I'm afraid that the time has finally come."

The gray husky and his mate both traded an uneasy look. "You're right, I suppose," Lily replied, biting her lip. "But, I don't know, Gary, do you think Rachel is old enough to handle the truth?"

"I'm afraid that age is no longer an issue," he said solemnly. "Today she starts public high school at junior level---our previous homeschooling was thankfully adequate to convicne the Board to accept her."

"And she'll instantly know she's different from the others," his wife finished, before closing her eyes and sighing. "She's never been anywhere remotely similar to a city, and we're also dumping this new development on her."

"Now, don't think it'll be too bad," Gary reached across the table and patted her shoulder. "It's not like she's been cut off from any social contact. Why, just the other day the minister was up here having a lovely discussion with Rachel and telling her how big and beautiful she was getting."

"But no one HER age," Lily frowned, "I worry how other teenagers would treat someone as---special as she."

"She'll have to meet people who are her peers at some point," Gary pointed out, rising from his chair. "Now, come on, let's go tell her together, like parents should."

They found Rachel repairing the barn from last night's hail storm. The Smiths, as their name might imply, were a farming family in a small town east of the city by about twenty miles.

Being agricultural meant that everybody, regardless of gender or age, had some sort of chore or work to do. Gary and Lily themselves had even been up before dawn tending to the livestock and gathering a few crops.

Rachel had already done her chores with ease, and now she was humming a slight tune while she toiled away on the roof. She seemed like many girls in her position would: a female, gray husky with green eyes and brown hair in a pair of suspenders and yes, a flannel shirt to top it off.

Though none of the Smith family had an accent or speaking style that really made them stand out among furs in the city, they were, however, easy to spot in their dress and mannerisms.

But Rachel had perhaps one slight difference. True, she was like other girls of the region, and true, fixing a roof from a ladder wpuld be no strange task to see. However, in this case the young girl was not using a ladder. For that matter, she wasn't even ON the roof, or the barn at all.

Rachel was in fact kneeling BESIDE the barn, and actually was bent over as she leaned DOWN to place several planks in like so many pick-up sticks. The last time they measured her, she'd in fact come out to about one hundred and ten feet and nine inches.

Gary cupped his hands to his face and yelled, "Rachel, sweetie, your mother and I would like a word with you!" When she really got into something, her father often had to practically scream a the top of his lungs.

Fortuantely, her ears twitched at the sound of his voice and she swung her great head down to look at him. "Yes, Papa?" Her melodious, clear voice said. The humming that now stopped was no credit to her singing abilities.

"We need to talk," he continued. "You might want to get comfortable, dear, this is very important." The perplexed giantess simply shrugged before sitting back against the barn and then scooped her parents up her her hands to set onto her knees.

A long, uneasy silence passed. Lily finally spoke. "Dear," she said. "As you know, your father and I have to send you to the city for a better education since there isn't a school around here."

The town was mostly made up of single, or older couples, and while there were plans for a school, right now children were pretty rare.

"I know," Rachel nodded, "and I did finally say I would go." She was referring to the last pitched battle they had over this. Though obviously not like most teens, she still had a few core qualities.

"Well, there's something else you need to know," Gary picked up the slack. "Rachel, I-I want to say, um, you see," he swallowed hard and took a deep breath. "Darn, there's no easy way to say this. Rachel," he locked eyes with her, "your mother and I aren't your real parents."

Rachel felt a sack of lead slam her in the gut. "What do you mean?" She gasped in confusion.

"We found you at the border of our farm," her father replied. "We were unable to have children of our own, and you looked so adorable sitting there in that basket that, well, we took you in and raised you like our daughter. But we would quickly learn there was more to you than meets the eye."

Her mother smiled and nodded, "When you were a pup, we first discovered your 'talents' when you were feeling playful one day and suddenly became eight feet tall. You wrestled your father to ground and pinned him like a doll. Gave us quite a surprise, perhaps he more so."

They both traded a laugh at this, and Rachel used to find that story funny, too, but not now. She was in shock. "But, if you're not my parents, then, then who is?"

"That, we do not know," her mother petted her knee, "I know this comes as a shock dear, but you see, you've always been different from us and everyone else in town. We don't know who you are, but we do know what you are."

Rachel looked her in the eye. "And that is?"

"You're a macrofur, of course." It was a simply spoken statement, but to her it hit harder than the news about being adopted.

"No!" She practically wailed, startling the cattle in the nearby pasture into a short-lived stampede. "You told me I just had a gift that let me get big--you never told me I was a MONSTER!"

"You're not a monster," her father told her sternly. She hardly heard this as tears built up in her eyes.

"Most people would contest that," she retorted. Rachel glanced into the farm's pond, expecting her reflection to be that of something hideous and unbearable to see. "I was so stupid," she muttered, "gift for getting big---HA! what else would I be?"

"Listen to us," Gary continued, "yes, macrofurs do have a bad stereotype. But your mother and I know that you'd never harm a fly, and it's only your actions that determine what you're like."

Rachel sniffed, "I'm not going to that school," she said at last. "They'll hate me--and with good reason, too." Though there'd rarely been cases of macros going after farm towns (they preferred large cities with high populations of tasty microfurs) here and there an incident happened that earned them a general reputatation of creatures straight out of Hell.

"People around here trust you," Gary reminded her, "and no one will tell your secret to those at the school." He did have a point, she thought. Rachel was well known in the farming community--and some fur mothers had even let her kiss their babies for affection. If that didn't mean they weren't worried then nothing did.

"You can stay small," her mother advised, "in fact, by all means do so if you like. But you needed to know."

"Because I otherwise would think that their were others just like me," she said it in as bitter a tone as possible. "And by that I mean normal furs, not monsters. Thanks for ruining my perceptions of my whole life."

In the end, Rachel had no choice. She had to get a full education, and to do so she needed that high school. Macrofur or not, she was now sitting on a bus (normal sized, of course) that was about to pull out of the sleepy little town she'd lived her blissful existence in.

She waved good-bye to her parents, the minister, and even several of the locals who, as she'd been told, trusted her and were friends. Her duffle bag was stowed in the carry-on area above her head and she could already hearing snatches of conversation around her about useless things.

The bus picked up speed and she watched until her home diminished from sight. Rachel sighed, and closed her eyes, hoping that perhaps when she awoke this would all be a dream and she'd be back at home in the simple life she'd enjoyed so much.

Remeber Rachel, a voice told her before falling asleep, do not let anyone know your secret. You are a macrofur, a monster, and you'll be treated as such if you let it slip.

I know, she replied silently, feeling a slight tear, I'll just have to stay away from everyone and hope it goes by quickly. With that, she drifted off to sleep for the remainder of the trip.

END of pt 1
Fixing the world, one duct tape job at a time.
Duct Tape Fanatic
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Heartwing » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:44 am

Awsome start Duct. as with all your stories, this promises to be great.
Heartwing
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Kojiro » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:53 am

Nice, I like It.
Don't mess with me.
Kojiro
Getting Bigger
Getting Bigger

Postby Duct Tape Fanatic » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:02 pm

Joey supposed that being called to the office meant that he was in trouble. Very few other reasons were there to be summoned by the odious PA system that blared its scratchy voice across the Bradford High hallways. And the announcer had been mostly vague in the request, so while it hadn’t come to light yet, Joseph Randel Darren was probably about to be fingered in the incident last week at the football game.

He thought himself a somewhat normal guy. Perhaps the only major difference came with the fact that Joey was both gray furred, and a fox. Most vulpine furs were red, but he was one of the few that were instead a silvery shade that had gotten him mistaken for a wolf or a husky on numerous occasions. Some people would find this irritating to no end, but he personally kind of thought it was cool and mysterious.

Gray foxes came from another region, and while Joey was born in the town of Free Greens, he still had the characteristics of his homeland people. But he otherwise blended in perfectly with his peers and hadn’t a single problem that was more extreme than that of any other seventeen-year-old in his spot.

The oak door loomed in front of him, the tinted glass hiding all activity inside. He swallowed hard, then knocked, softly. No reply came at first, and he wondered if he needed to hit harder. He gave a slightly stronger rap, and this time he heard the unmistakable voice of Principal Earwood barking out, “I heard you the first time, Mr. Darren, enter already!”

A pair of cat girls passing by heard this and broke into a fit of giggling laughter, making him burn on the cheeks. Joey would have stuck out his tongue or something similar, but they were both pretty good looking, so he decided not to on the basis of maybe they were the ones who liked, “the funny guy”. So he ignored the teasing glances and opened the door to step inside.

Earwood sat at his desk, a mid-aged human with half a head of hair and beady eyes set into a wrinkling brow. He always seemed to be squinting at something, as if looking for possible troublemakers to punish. Currently he seemed to be even more “wrinkled” about something—which only came with high stress, so Joey felt a lump in his throat and ever increasing pressure about the little episode of a stink bomb in the jocks’ locker room.

“Mr. Darren,” the principle said slowly, “I called you here for a specific reason.” He indicated a chair, “have a seat.” The fox gulped and with a nod he did as instructed. “As you know,” Earwood continued, “you were once recommended to be reliable by Mrs. Wilson.”

“Yes, sir,” he nodded.

“She also said that you knew your way around here, and that you could be a good example of what type of student comes to Bradford High. Her exact words, I believe, were, ‘he’s a congenial, well rounded boy who could serve a useful purpose.’ Is that true?”

“Well, uh,” he scratched the back of his head. If the man was dancing around, trying to get him to incriminate himself, he wouldn’t fall for it that easily. “I do have some of the fine points mentioned.” What the heck are you saying? He wanted ask, but wisely chose not to, just accuse me already or say you know, or something!

“In that case you’re perfect for what I’m about to give you. Earwood suddenly rose up and indicated something to the right of Joey that he hadn’t noticed, “we have a young woman who is new to our school. Indeed, she’s new to the entire concept of public school, and because of what I was told, I thought I’d recommend you to be her temporary guide.”

Joey followed Earwood’s gaze and suddenly felt his jaw drop. There, sitting next to the door, was an absolutely GORGEOUS canine female about his age. The eyes, the face, everything seemed to be in the right order. She also seemed to have some lupine traits, his dumbstruck mind managed out. The muzzle and the ears looked a bit long for a regular dog fur, he wondered if she was part wolf.

“Joseph Darren, meet Rachel Smith.” The principal stood them both up and ushered them together. “You two have been scheduled to have the same classes for this semester.” Needless to say, the cats were completely forgotten to him right now. Had they been in the room Joey would have probably given them the rudest hand gesture he could think of with little regard.

“Hi, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” he shook her hand lightly, feeling giddy that this opportunity was both his and seemingly PERFECT. There couldn’t possibly be a flaw from the way she looked, and even if her personality was a bad one, he only had to point her to class while still getting a good look at her every day.

Then he noticed her clothing and her figure. Slender, clearly defined legs were covered by only mid-thigh length blue shorts, while her shirt was about the same size as a tube top and a lovely color of tan covering a very well developed bustline. This Rachel girl clearly worked out, too, but rather than looking like some sort of amazon beefcake, it seemed to Joey that her muscles were smooth and slender like they were formed out of liquid metal.

Wow, he thought, feeling nearly every boyish fantasy and thought reverberating in his head, who’d have thought I’d actually liked to be called in here? He also made a mental note to send Mrs. Wilson a big box of her favorite chocolates or something in gratitude. She definitely goes on my list of favorite teachers, he thought.

Then another thought crossed his mind: someone that beautiful was probably going to end up paired with some equally gorgeous guy before too long. Joey had been told that he wasn’t ugly, but, compared to the football team he was little more than a medium size fox with hardly the rippling mass that she probably would rather see.

“It’s nice to meet you also,” the girl spoke up in a friendly tone. She smiled at Joey, and her eyes had this way of catching his attention. Though intended as a casual, he still felt drawn deep into that expression, sort of an innocent-yet-intriguing look. She held out her hand shook his with considerable force. He blinked in surprise, she WAS pretty strong.

Now that she was this close to him Joey found it hard to come up with anything to say, especially since his mouth was feeling like a desert. “I-I-I hope I can help you get adjusted,” he said. Do I really sound that bad? He thought. Out of the corner of his eye he saw that Earwood had taken a break from his surly demeanor to actually appear amused.

“Well, it’s the first time I’ve been in a city, much less a public school.” Rachel gave that smile again, and Joey’s cool demeanor was about to give way entirely.

“You’re from the countryside?” He asked. Well, Rachel didn’t really have an accent, but from speaking to her she DID give the impression of being from somewhere else. “And, uh, this isn’t really a city. Free Greens is more like a centralized town with a bunch of urban areas where people live.”

“Oh,” she nodded, “well, then I guess I’ll have to spend a lot of time with you to learn more about how things are here.”

Did she just say what I thought she did? Joey was incredulous. “I don’t want to take up all your free time---,” he began.

“No, really, it’s okay,” she smiled, and as the saying went, the third time was not only the charm, but at this point he felt like his knees would give way. Charm, nothing, for someone who claimed to be new to this place she seemed really good making his legs feel like Jell-O. “I don’t have much else to do here except lean.”

“Oh, really?” He cocked his head, “in that case, I’ll introduce you to my friends after school today. You’ll love Clarissa, Vinny, and Clark, those guys are the biggest bunch of clowns anyone would have the pleasure of knowing.”

“Isn’t that the truth?” Earwood muttered under his breath. Joey felt the tips of his ears burn. Though he’d been mostly a straight apple (at least up until the stink bomb, but that hadn’t been his idea, only execution) his pals Vinny and Clark were notorious for causing trouble. Clarissa usually served as the sensible one who kept them out of anything that could land them in jail. “Well, he continued, “anyway, as you know, I’ve assigned Mr. Darren to show you around, and speaking of which, I do believe the bell well ring in the next five minutes, so you’d best get to class.”

Joey tried to smile at Rachel, but it came over as a goofy grin. “Er, yes, let’s get going shall we?”

************************************************************************************************************

Well, thought Rachel, so far, so good. She hoped that she’d used the money her parents gave her to buy clothing that was popular around here. This Joey boy seemed nice enough, as long as he didn’t discover what she was then perhaps they could become really good friends. But I can’t trust anyone with my secret, she thought wily, I have to make sure they think I’m a normal girl.

The day went somewhat uneventful. Though home schooled, Rachel found it only mildly difficult to fit into the way things worked here. It was simple, really. Keep up with your books, do your homework, and take down notes; that was all she really had to “learn” about learning.

Joey played his part as guide and helper. She sensed that he was trying to impress her, and actually found it funny. She, too, was trying to make an impression with everyone. She’d heard about the “dumb hick” stereotypes, and was determined to prove that no matter what, she was hardly any less intelligent than anyone else was.

It went by pretty quickly. She did what she could, and her companion did the best HE could. Most of the time they worked out what was what, and how this and that were run, and by lunch time she had to admit that perhaps this wasn’t such a bad way to get a lasting education.

Now they were in the cafeteria, Joey pointing her through the lunch line and then steering the new girl over towards a table where he said she could meet his "friends”. “Hey, guys!” He called out, “I’ve got someone special with me today!” As they got closer, Rachel saw the occupants to be a cat, a raccoon, and a mink.

“Who’s this?” The raccoon asked.

“Guys,” Joey pointed to her, “this is Rachel, the new girl to the school. Earwood gave me the task of showing her around. Rachel, this is Clark,” he indicated the raccoon, “Vinny,” the cat, “and Clarissa,” the female mink gave a welcoming smile and a nod as he finished on her.

More of the, “so what are you like?” type of conversation flowed between the four of them. Apparently, not too many people came in from the agricultural regions. Rachel didn’t think she’d be able to eat with all the answering she did—that is, had not Clarissa spoken up and said, “hold it a minute, the poor girl’s probably starving by now.” She grinned and winked at her, “I hope you hang out with us more, I could use another woman to help ride herd on these guys.”

“I bet where she comes from that would be taken literally,” Vinny whispered, causing Clark to crack up. Joey looked like he thought it was funny, but from his expression she could tell he’d only laugh if she wouldn’t be offended by it. And she wasn’t, not necessarily because she wouldn’t care about that remark, but because as long as they thought her only secret was the farming background she’d be perfectly happy with that.

She nearly forgot her suddenly revealed heritage up until history class that afternoon. She supposed that it would make sense that macrofurs would be a---no pun intended---LARGE part of history, but she couldn’t have guessed what awaited them in Mr. Linskies’s class. The teenage fur did superbly well through most of the period, but then came the dark part. After telling the class, “those of you with weak constitutions better leave,” the ferret faculty member proceeded to pull down a projector screen, and then promptly start a video.

“MACROFUR ATTACKS THROUGHOU T HISTORY!” The opening movie shot said this is big, red, and yes, dripping letters. Rachel felt her stomach twinge a bit in nervousness. Her heart began to race and she felt her paws growing clammy as she saw the scenes suddenly roll by with twisted carnage and destruction.

“The brutal chaos began at six A.M.,” the narrator started, “very few lived to tell the tale, but one reporter, who later went MIA, managed to get THIS shot of the devastation caused by several macros bent on terrorizing the populace.”

Then it cut to a shaky filming of what appeared to be a giant wolf, or coyote, or something that couldn’t be identified. Had it been charging madly through the streets it wouldn’t have been as bad, but it didn’t seem to be in a hurry. To the contrary, the macro canine seemed to be enjoying himself as he casually sauntered through the city, feet catching some unlucky pedestrian every few seconds. It got even worse when the macrofur scooped up a handful of screaming people, some human, some fur, lifted them over his open maw, and then----.

Rachel shut her eyes, but she did hear her classmates’ utterances of disgust, followed by some voice from the films go, “Oh, my God!” She cautiously opened her eyes again to see that another macrofur had joined the fray, this one a female version of the first. She joined her mate in both the smashing and devouring, which this time Rachel forced herself to watch. The macro snatched a fox off the street and dropped him effortlessly onto her tongue. She then rolled him around for a few seconds, eyes closed and looking quiet pleased with the struggles. In this time the camera zoomed in on the tiny morsel, showing the most fear she’d seen on anybody’s face, ever. The giantess must have tired of her game at this point, for she snapped her muzzle shut and tilted her head back casually.

An instant later her throat gave a shift and she swallowed, the squirming lump sliding down her gullet. She seemed to be enjoying even this part, using a finger to trace the one in her esophagus on his trip southward. After her prey passed her chest and disappeared, the macro smiled and rubbed her belly for a second, no doubt taking pleasure from the squirming the unlucky fur made as he was digested. What really sickened Rachel was that the giantess opened her eyes, seemed to notice the camera at that moment, and actually SMILED. She licked her lips, and for a moment the camera shot blurred as people all around milled about in terror and confusion.

She couldn’t help but wonder if they were her real parents. Right now the two were----having a bit of an intimate moment that would prove to be fatal for some more furs they caught. Would someone like that leave their own child by itself? The macrofur couple, having finished their fun, now took a step together towards the camera.

At that point it went out of focus, since whoever was holding it decided to run. There were about thirty more terror-filled seconds until the tape ended with a final shot of a descending paw. Rachel could feel an awful tightness in her chest, like something was pressing heavily on her heart.

Wait, she glanced down, there WAS something pressing on her chest. It was the rest of the desk she occupied, and the reason it applied so much force was because she was starting to fill the space in her chair. I’m GROWING! She realized in shock, but I’m not even doing it willingly. There was no time for that now. Currently, because the lights were out nobody had noticed that she was a few inches taller, but Rachel quickly bolted out of her chair and without even asking for an excuse threw the door open.

“Rachel, wait!” She barely heard Joey say, but she couldn’t stop. Down the hallway in a panic she ran, summoning all her reserves to keep from finishing the process before she got outside. Rachel somehow managed to find the doors and stumbled into the open air. She glanced about, and noticed both the forest and also that she was the same height as the door---7ft.

It was a good thing that her growing could effect clothing and also that she was a great runner. Rachel hoofed it to the tree line and barely got into the foliage before her concentration slipped and she shot up to twenty feet. I have to hurry! She thought, I need to go farther. Joey and the others, especially Joey, couldn’t discover that she was a macrofur, they just COULDN’T.

Fortunately, as she approached fifty feet, Rachel got to a small gully and quickly lay down in it like a soldier in a trench. This would have to do. She let the rest happen and took her old size, which was that of what the two monsters she’d seen on the TV had been measured at. Everything was peaceful out here, and no one could see her crying.

“I’m not a monster,” she whispered to no one, “I’m not like that.” But deep down, she was troubled by her sudden loss of control. If Rachel couldn’t control even her size changing now, then perhaps she wouldn’t be able to control the tendencies to commit such atrocious acts as she’d just witnessed.

“No,” she promised herself, “I won’t.” No matter what happened, she vowed silently, no matter whom she was descended from, she would never be anyone but Rachel Smith, a normal, teenage girl. Finally, with this she felt her grip on her ability take hold once more, and shrank back to six foot three. She stood up, brushed herself off, and went back towards the school.
Duct Tape Fanatic
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby padfootsm » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:27 am

DANG! :shock:

This is a great story and an inspiration. I like the setting and the idea behind it. I won't go into detail, but it is similiar to an idea I was working on (Curse you! Kidding...). I, of course, couldn't do it in the same way you did Duct. You better keep writing or I will...do something drastic! Yeah! Like watch a Barney marathon!

Seriously though, I do enjoy the character set-up. Baby left at farm and raised "normal" Realizes she is a "monster," but has to go to Jr. high.

I especially like Joey, cause he reminds me a bit of myself. A group of jokers with a sensible person (not me at all...) in it.

Please keep writing. I want to read more of this. It is definetly worth my time and your effort. Right?
"The quill is truly stronger than the sword."
padfootsm
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Heartwing » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:44 am

Instinct. How could you not respond to that stimuli? Many of us respond by quickness of breath, the drying of your mouths, or other "Pressing" indications of our bodily and emotional reaction to Macro's. Rachel's reaction is not suprising. She could have felt the unconcious need to be with her own sized beings, or she could have even felt the need to fight them because of her strong reaction to the death and distruction they were causing, possibly even the need to protect herself.

I like this story DTF, I hope you keep it coming.
Heartwing
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Ransom » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:51 pm

I had the idea in my head to do write similar, but DTF, you're doing a great job, and I hope you continue it soon. :D
Ransom
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Duct Tape Fanatic » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:37 am

By all means, everybody write what you feel like doing. I certainly would want more macro stories out here.

With her fur ruffed up and picking a leaf or two out of her hair, Rachel slipped back into the building, wondering how she’d explain this. First day and I skip class halfway through, she thought miserably as she trudged back to the classroom with her head hung and her hands in her pockets. Then she heard Joey’s voice calling out to her and turned around to see the gray fox panting as he jogged up to her.

“Rachel, there you are!” He stopped to catch his breath, “I’ve been looking all over for you.”

“I’m in trouble for leaving class, right?”

“No, no,” he shook his head. “Mr. Linskie told me personally that it was okay. He says every time he shows that film somebody does the same as you.” He paused and looked uneasy about what he wanted to say next. Finally, he got it out and in a nervous voice said, “so, uh, if you don’t mind I’ll walk you back to class?”

“Okay,” Rachel smiled, relieved that she wouldn’t be punished. The two began down the hallway in silence for a while. She looked at him and asked, “do all films and recordings of macrofurs look like that?”

“Pretty much,” he responded. Her face fell, and he noticed this and quickly amended, “but there ARE some films where the military actually manages to kill the macro---though not many, and they still usually involve----what you just saw.”

So, I’m either a killing machine or a target, Rachel sighed. She’d been hoping that Joey would mention some sort of peaceful coexistence ninety percent of the time between normals and macrofurs. Of course it seemed that could never happen. Why would someone choose to have to respect the needs of a two-inch bug? I’ll just have to keep full control on my abilities and stay small for the rest of the year.

But she’d never gone more than a few days without changing size. It was a natural thing—an instinct almost. And nobody had had a problem with it. However, her small town’s populations was only about fifty---hardly the number that compared to the soaring numbers in this city---no, this wasn’t even a city. It was a suburban area. And come to think of it, this perhaps explained finally to Rachel why no one back home actually talked about her talents.

They were trying to protect her from being either destroyed like a threat or captured and turned into some sort of laboratory oddity. She felt alone, and homesick. “Do you think macrofurs are evil?” She whispered, looking Joey in the eye.

He stopped, looking ready to speak, but then took on a thoughtful look. “You can’t generalize on an entire group being evil,” he said slowly. “So, I guess not.” He seemed to be holding something back, something he didn’t want to reveal to her. “If all macofurs went out and did---that, then there wouldn’t be any cities left. We’re probably seen as insignificant to most of them---but there’s a few who take pleasure in tormenting smaller people like a bunch of kids enjoy tormenting insects.”

“What would you do if you met one?”

“Scream, probably,” he replied with a laugh, then stopped as he caught her serious expression. He blinked a minute, taken off guard, “I dunno, I really don’t know. Assuming I didn’t have cause to run for my life I might get a little interested. After all, I’d just have to ask what it was like to be so big and powerful; to be like a god or a titan to little creatures such as myself.” He chuckled, “I might even be a bit envious of having all that.”

“I’m sure it’s overrated,” she muttered.

**********************************************************************************************************

Odd questions to ask about macros, thought Joey. Rachel was really something else. Well, he thought, she is from the country region, maybe where she’s from macrofurs are just stuff talked about in scary stories, never seen in real life or on TV. That had to be it, he rationalized. But something still seemed to be missing from the puzzle here. Sure, she looked upset about the film, but she had wanted to know about macros themselves, not just what they caused.

Most people he knew would simple make “macro” a "monster" and leave it at that.

Joey wanted to put an arm around her, or something to comfort her. However, he’d just met her this morning and wasn’t sure how she’d take it. I might have been better off with an UGLY person to show around, he sighed, the fact that I’m watching a pretty girl like her be unhappy is really pulling my emotional strings here. Even so, he felt that he had to do SOMETHING.

“Uh, listen,” he said at last, scratching behind his head. “I don’t suppose you’d be interested in, um, maybe seeing more of the area tonight? I know you think this is a city, but there’s actually more stuff that’d remind you of home than you think.” He flashed a nervous, vulpine smile.

The husky/possible wolf hybrid stopped and regarded him for a moment. “Are you asking me out on a date?” Her voice held no scorn or contempt, just curiosity.

“No, not really,” he replied quickly, feeling warm under his shirt, “just a friendly trip around Free Greens, you know, to show you around? Perhaps we could stop for something if you did get hungry, but we don’t have to,” he quickly spoke, then felt himself tripping over his words. STEADY, he urged himself mentally. “It’d be nothing serious. I could even invite some of the others----.”

“I would very much like that.” Rachel said softly.

“---And they would meet us at---wait.” Joey blinked, “what’d you say?”

“I said that I would enjoy to spend an evening with you seeing the sights here, It all looks very interesting. So, as the phrase goes, then it’s a date?”

Joey gulped hard, about to reply that wasn’t a date, or rather it was, but not a---oh never mind he thought. Rachel then flashed him her smile. How someone could supposedly grow up without boys her age and master that little trick was beyond him. Were she not obviously either a husky or a husky-part-wolf he’d guess there was a vixen hiding behind those enchanting eyes.

“S-sure.” He stammered back. “When do I pick you up?”

***************************************************************************************

It was a few days later that they went on their “outing to see the city”. Rachel stayed with her mother’s sister on the other side of town. Joey hadn’t actually gotten a car to pick her up in, or even a bicycle. Instead, he simply had an extra bus pass since he didn’t have either of the two previously mentioned forms of transportation.

He’d done his best to scrounge up a decent-looking T-shirt and some nicely pressed blue jeans. Oh, gods, he swallowed hard, I hope she doesn’t really think it’s a DATE, date. He walked up the stoop to knock on her door. I wonder if she likes me, he thought. Nah that was moving a bit fast for only a day’s worth of experience.

The door opened and someone who vaguely resembled Rachel appeared. She seemed to be completely husky, and Joey guessed that even without the wolfish traits he could have her pegged for her aunt. “You must be Joey,” she said, looking him over in that what’s-this-boy-like-and-can-I-trust-him-with-my-flesh-and-blood routine. “Come on in, I’ll tell Rachel that you’re here.”

Joey thanked her and went through the usual pleasantries as he entered the small, cozy house that was clearly built for just a person or two. He watched the older fur tromp up to the top of the stairs and then quietly converse with someone inside a doorway. He presumed it was Rachel, and while he wasn’t someone who usually eavesdropped he did manage to overhear a snatch of finishing conversation with his fox ears.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” The aunt asked.

“Yes, Auntie, I’m fine,” she said in a brisk tone, “The other day was nothing to worry about. Anyway, mom and dad said that I should make friends while I’m here.”

“I have a feeling that boy’s interest goes beyond just being ‘friends’.” Her voice took on a cautionary tone.

“I’m not ignorant to the male gender,” Rachel snorted. “Besides, if he tried something do you REALLY think I couldn’t handle myself?”

“We both know that if anything like that happens you’ll be out of here in no time. Oh well,” she sighed, “be careful, all right?” Joey heard Rachel respond that she would be careful, and then his ears detected the sound of her footsteps coming down. He stepped back to the front door, pretending he hadn’t heard anything and smoothed his fur to look nice.

“Good evening, Joey,” Rachel said as she appeared before him. Joey felt his mouth water, then dry at her state. She was wearing a tube top still, and the mid-thigh length shorts, but had arranged her hair and fur in SOME way as to be the most enchanting look he’d seen in a while. Her eyes sparkled extra and of course, her smile had even more enticement to it. She cleaned up pretty nicely, he concluded at last.

“H-hello,” he gulped, tugging at his collar, “you look lovely tonight.” You idiot, he scolded himself, you’re talking like this is a date and it’s NOT supposed to be. “Er, that is, you always look lovely and nice.” He swallowed, “well, I, uh.”

“Where are we going first?” Rachel cut in. “I can’t wait to see Free Greens like you said you’d show me.” Joey wasn’t whether to be relieved that she broke him off or nervous because she had yet to contest that this was just a friendly excursion.

“Um, yes,” he said nervously, “let’s go.”

Rachel felt better this time around. Her growing-ability was in complete check, and she was getting this odd feeling about her newfound friend. She’d expected Joey to be all hung up on her appearance and try to make one lame pass after another, but he was instead being very sincere and treated her probably better than she treated him, though she also tried to be cordial and friendly.

“And that’s the Blue Moon,” he pointed to a building, “good food, cheap prices, and polite servers.”

“Really?” Rachel thought for a moment, “well, I am getting hungry, how about we stop there for,” she wanted to say snack but before she knew she had said, “dinner?”

I must really be getting manipulative, she thought, watching his nervous reaction. “I’ll pay,” she added. Joey seemed further embarrassed by this. Inwardly, Rachel felt a bit guilty. Why am I doing this? She asked herself. He’s a nice guy, why make him so sweaty under the collar? Of course she knew why---she’d never been out with anybody her own age before, not like this. Rachel had to admit she found herself intrigued and curious as to what he’d do next.

And on further note, at least she was able to take her mind of being a macrofur for the first time since arriving here.

********************************************************************************

“No, it’s okay,” he said, “I’ll cover it. Guy’s supposed to pay for this sort of thing anyhow.” You do realize, a voice said in his mind, that you’ve just indicated that this IS a date and that you ARE interested in being more than friends with her. Well, he WAS interested in being more than friends with her, and why shouldn’t he? She was friendly towards him, she was beautiful, and they were BOTH single.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that, he reminded himself mentally. It’s just a good thing that I brought enough money for just such a development. “Come on,” he said taking her by the arm, “I’ll show you the best meal in town.”

**********************************************************************************

Some time later the two of them were sitting on a hill behind the drive-in theater leaned against each other. “Well, um,” Joey began, “this is the cinema, obviously.” How in the sweet name of anthropomorphism did I end up here? He thought to himself. I was just supposed to be the guy who pointed out the bathrooms at school.

“Interesting film they have playing,” Rachel replied. Joey had explained that it technically wasn’t sneaking in to see a free show since technically they weren’t IN the theater. It was another bit of logic passed onto him by Vinny and Clark.

“Better than the last one you saw?” He tried to go for a lighter tone.

“Much better,” she nodded with a giggle. In his head there was a storm going on. It was mostly the usual “Who likes whom,” crap Joey expected from himself, but in between surges of interest and nervousness he found himself truly puzzled by this girl. We know each for less than a week, he reflected, and it’s gotten to this. As long as nothing overly physical happens we’ll be okay.

Then Rachel put an arm around his waist and practically lay back into his lap. He swallowed hard, this does NOT mean we’re okay. But before he knew it Joey had his own arms around her shoulders and was holding her gently. He couldn’t tell if it was because of him or her, but suddenly he felt very warm.

They stayed close together, talking about minute, pointless things for a while. Joey hardly managed to even acknowledge the movie and he was pretty sure Rachel had her attention completely on him. When it was over, or rather, when they both began to approach the curfews they’d been restricted to, they first disentangled themselves and then with a traded glance of embarrassment Joey walked Rachel back to her Aunt’s house.

“So,” he asked her, “I’ve told you about how it around here, now, would you tell me what it’s like where you live?”

She stopped, then quietly said, “there’s nothing much about it.”

“Oh, I’m sure there’s something,” he said. “I mean, you spend most of your life in a region, undoubtedly it’s not all the same every day. Come on, Rachel, if you’re worried I’ll make fun of you for living on a farm, then don’t be. I’m just curious about your past---.”

“I don’t KNOW my past.” She said suddenly, then clamped a hand over her muzzle almost to physically stifle herself. Joey caught her expression at that moment.

“What do you mean?” Joey asked. Now he REALLY had to know.

“It’s nothing,” she replied, “I didn’t mean for it to sound like that.” Rachel looked frantic, like there was something stalking around that could harm both of them in the instant it appeared. “Joey, please, I don’t want to talk about my history---it’s too painful.” Tears were welling in the back of her eyes, “promise me you’ll never bring it up again?”

For the life of him, Joey couldn’t understand why she was so adamant about this. What was the big secret, he wondered, why is she acting so afraid of her background? Whatever it was, he could tell that it genuinely scared and agitated Rachel, and that probing deeper might hurt her.

“Okay,” he replied with a nod, “I won’t say another word---except that I’m your friend and you can trust me.” He put a hand on her shoulder, “If you have a problem and ever want to tell me---,” he let it drop from there.

“Thank you,” she said softly, “but, if you knew---never mind, it’s not important.” Then she turned her gaze to the door in front of them, “looks like we’re here.” They both had an uneasy moment. “I had a good time, Joey—I hope we can do this again soon.”

“You bet,” he nodded, “I’ll see you at school, Rachel. Just remember that I’ll help you out if you’re in trouble.”

“Of course,” she replied. Rachel turned and walked up the stairs. Joey watched her get about halfway up, then stop and come back. She stood in front of him with her hands clasped together and held low. “There’s one more thing.” Joey was about to ask what it was, but she quickly proved her point. In a single motion Rachel threw her arms around Joey, pulled him close---she sure was strong---and kissed him in the most passionate way he could think of.

They stayed together for probably half a minute. Joey’s heart did a marathon in his chest and he was practically terrified to do much kissing back, since he hadn’t done it much himself and didn’t want his lack of experience to make it like he was sucking on her face. Rachel probably hadn’t kissed much either, but even so she proved that she could handle it perfectly well---in fact a lot better than any other girl he’d met.

When it finally ended, Joey and Rachel nearly panted. “Wow,” he muttered.

“That wasn’t too fast, was it?” She asked with genuine concern.

“N-no, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.” He fought the urge to laugh, since it would come out as a nervous giggle. “I guess you country girls don’t josh around much, do you?”

“I got that off the TV dramas,” she grinned, “I wanted to see if it went as good in real life as it does on the screen.” Despite what she just did, the canine fur still looked sheepish as she avoided his gaze. “What did you think?”

“Me?” He chuckled, “I’d say that you’ll fit in around here just fine.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” she said seriously, “it means a lot to me.” The two of them stayed outside for a little while longer, and then after saying good-bye and heading inside Joey remained for a few extra minutes. He didn’t really think much about anything during that time---except that he was very lucky to have met someone like Rachel and that he vowed to protect her from whatever it was in her past that haunted the girl of his dreams.

He started home finally. And one thought kept circling through his mind, nagging at him constantly the whole way there. It was an undeniable truth as well, and a direct result of everything he’d experienced since first meeting Rachel. He now smiled once more repeating his conclusion about this.

Life had just gotten a lot more interesting.
Last edited by Duct Tape Fanatic on Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duct Tape Fanatic
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby padfootsm » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:40 am

Very interesting...

GAH! Alright, I'll say it! I love it, I love it, I love it! Keep writing whenever you get the chance. It's good. It's beyond good. It's...uber-good!!! Anyways, great job DTF. Keep at it.
"The quill is truly stronger than the sword."
padfootsm
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Heartwing » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:00 pm

I liked the movie scene. It reminds me of some nice quiet and comfortable dates from my teen years. Excellent DTF.
Heartwing
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Next

Return to Archive: Macro Story