one big K-9 for hire

Archive of the "Macro Art" forum.

one big K-9 for hire

Postby talaminia » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:29 am

Well, hopefully I can garnor more feedback on this than on lofty. Unfortunately, it seems that poser art doesn't garner as much attention as hand drawn. :( Most of my older work is posted on lavadomefive.com, but I am working on moving to furosity.com (which may end up being an open gallery to any artist) Anyways, this is the most expensive 150 ft guard K-9 Hera who is very playful, hates cats to the fullest, and protects own species.

talaminia
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby ROGUE » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:44 pm

Heeheehee! I like Hera.

My only thing is that she seems so skinny. I don't wanna fat Tombfyre-style Hera, but she could use a little more meat on her bones.

More cuddlable to a 90' wolf.
ROGUE
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Geemo » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:25 pm

Since when does Rogue like girls?
<i>"Woof."</i>
Geemo
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Duncan » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:39 pm

Rogue's gotta girlfriend!

And as for your gripe about getting comments, well, I can certainly see why Poser stuff isn't as popular as handdrawn stuff. It's probably very fun to put stuff together, and no offense intended but it really is just manipulating the same model and moving the camera. Versus something freshly drawn from someone's head and hand.

Not that I'm discouraging you from doing it...keep it up! Just don't get all depressed if it's not everyone's thing.

-- Duncan
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby talaminia » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:54 am

Actually there is a lot of work that is simply not seen. Hera took me three weeks to create and its still improving. Her feet was 3d modeled. Her texture took me several days and its still not where I want it to be. The clothes here was textured by me and had to be modified to fit her. The lighting was modified to fit the picture. The sky background was from a real photograph from my digital camera. Also, each picture is photoshopped afterwards except for the Poser animations, which I am going to upload soon as I get the site straightened out. Yes, I have animations, some of them are macro, and some are not.

Sure anyone can do this, but not everyone can do it so it looks good.
talaminia
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Cougr » Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:10 am

I really don't know what to say in regards to the Hera pictures I've seen. I don't know much about Poser or what it takes to make it work, so I have nothing to say about technique. That may be the reason why other people don't comment more. Having no experience on how things are made makes having more to say than "Well, it looks nice" difficult. Most everyone has picked up a pencil or crayon and doodled, so there's some sense of familiarity there.

There are lots of limitations in the model-building of the Poser program that causes an inherent stiffness in the characters which always, for me, takes away from their attractiveness. A living thing has a fluidness in form that I like a lot and try to capture in my art. Poser model work doesn't allow the natural lines of musculature to show through.

That said, I think the Hera model is pretty nice. The melding of the Shepherd head on the human body works pretty well. Your Photoshop'd fur effects are getting better, but I think the waviness on the legs is kind of odd. For me, her paws seem a little misshapen, but, being a pawslut, I'm stupidly picky that way. :) Meaning you can ignore my comment there.

You've done a bunch of cool situational images of Hera. Some well-done scene setups and costumes. It looks like you're having fun with it, and that's the real motivation for doing it. To have fun. Keep it up. I suppose if you want actual comments on things to change to make things better, you may want to ask. But realize that asking on an open forum is going to give you a huge variety of responses based on individual tastes, and overall, it'll just confuse you. Do what you think feels right. If someone gives you a suggestion for something to change, ask them for clarification, so you can weed out the dorks who are just going "I just don't like it", or even "I really like that!' Find out *why*. If they can't tell you why, forget it. You'll never learn what works if you don't.

Hope I didn't go too far with that. Keep up the good work.

coug'r
Cougr
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Return to Archive: Macro Art