Go Deeper

Archive of the "Macro Art" forum.

Go Deeper

Postby Art_Dragon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:56 pm

It's been forever since I've really posted anything here, so I thought I would put up a recent macro piece I've done.

Yume there is mine blah blah all that stuff.

Enjoy =3
Attachments
Yume_swim.jpg
Under da sea~ Under da Se~ea
Yume_swim.jpg (94.01 KiB) Viewed 8207 times
The brighter the light, the darker its shadow.

"One week in summer, that was as fulfilling as a year, seemed as short as a day." -Belldandy
Art_Dragon
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby HypeEnlite » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 pm

*gets diving gear*
HypeEnlite
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby padfootsm » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Ryuu! It's Yuuuuuuuume again!

Though I didn't realize...that Yume had tentacles. New addition or did I just not know that?

Focusing on the picture, I love the two corner touches of a clam and the coral outline. Very well done and not noticeable, but nice atmosphere addition. I must say that the sketchy feel of the overall drawing is quite powerful for the shading and final product that you show here. The tail especially in contrast to the dark shades of the body. Maybe it's me, but I can sorta -feel- that water between me and Yume. It's a nice touch, intentional or not.

Well done my friend. Well done indeed.
"The quill is truly stronger than the sword."
padfootsm
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 pm

padfootsm wrote:Ryuu! It's Yuuuuuuuume again!

Though I didn't realize...that Yume had tentacles. New addition or did I just not know that?

Focusing on the picture, I love the two corner touches of a clam and the coral outline. Very well done and not noticeable, but nice atmosphere addition. I must say that the sketchy feel of the overall drawing is quite powerful for the shading and final product that you show here. The tail especially in contrast to the dark shades of the body. Maybe it's me, but I can sorta -feel- that water between me and Yume. It's a nice touch, intentional or not.

Well done my friend. Well done indeed.

Damn you, Padfoot, you said nearly all I was planning to say. Ditto to all, especially about the frame and coral/clamshell embellishments. Those kinds of details are ones very few artists add, but can really transform something.
Also, a bit of criticism to even out all this praise :wink: . The one thing that I see aas a deficit to this is the overall graininess. I might have thought it a visual effect were it not uniformly everywhere, even on the frame and clamshell. I'm guessing it's the result of scanning?

Great picture, and great style. 8)
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Re: Go Deeper

Postby The Blue Mage » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:38 am

Art_Dragon wrote:It's been forever since I've really posted anything here, so I thought I would put up a recent macro piece I've done.

Yume there is mine blah blah all that stuff.

Enjoy =3

THIS IS WHY I HATE SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN.
I never know who or what is waiting -just out of sight-...
It is a glorious thing, a thing to be a pirate king.
The Blue Mage
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Sigwion » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:18 am

Great arts!
I think there isn't enough macro art with them in the water;
swiming is fun!
:D
Sigwion
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Chaswari » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:37 am

Neat. Nice shading.

More background details wouldn't hurt, though. Took me a momnet to realize it's underwater.
Chaswari
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Arnavon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:50 pm

that's beautiful
Arnavon
Rampage
Rampage

Postby Art_Dragon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:30 pm

padfootsm wrote:Though I didn't realize...that Yume had tentacles. New addition or did I just not know that?

No, that's a new thing I threw in there as of this picture. Always wanted an excuse to try out a design with them, and this gave me a good reason and chance =3

padfootsm wrote:Focusing on the picture, I love the two corner touches of a clam and the coral outline. Very well done and not noticeable, but nice atmosphere addition. I must say that the sketchy feel of the overall drawing is quite powerful for the shading and final product that you show here. The tail especially in contrast to the dark shades of the body. Maybe it's me, but I can sorta -feel- that water between me and Yume. It's a nice touch, intentional or not.

I'm glad you enjoyed the little additions there. I like using boarders here and there, but I don't like containing or restricting a picture. I threw the shell and coral in there as subtle additions to break the rigid edges, as I did with the tail and tentacle, and add to the setting.

I hadn't thought it would work out like that, and now that you mention it, I see what you mean. Thanks. I almost toned out the background to drop it back and create more contrast, but it was intended to be a brighter piece, so I left it as-is.

zukezorin wrote:Also, a bit of criticism to even out all this praise ;). The one thing that I see aas a deficit to this is the overall graininess. I might have thought it a visual effect were it not uniformly everywhere, even on the frame and clamshell. I'm guessing it's the result of scanning?

I appreciate the constructive criticism, I really do. That's one of the things I love about this board so much: The well-worded and helpful pointers.

The graininess is something I'm working on. My scanner likes to eat my art, and I'm thinking I'll need to just get a good camera to bring in my works.
The brighter the light, the darker its shadow.

"One week in summer, that was as fulfilling as a year, seemed as short as a day." -Belldandy
Art_Dragon
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Return to Archive: Macro Art