Living with the Lepus

A place for writers to offer creative feedback and post works in progress.

Living with the Lepus

Postby macrokat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:26 pm

It's been a while since I've submitted any story stuff... or even seriously WORKED on a story actually... but while on vacation I had an interesting idea and hopefully can make something of it. This is just the first part for now, not much macro stuff yet but there will be.

Let me know what you think, and hopefully I can continue to add to the story by writing in quick self contained pieces.

I'm putting it in general for now but, we'll see how things go. I don't plan on pulling any punches once things actually get going.

For now though here's the beginning of "Living with the Lepus", hopefully you like it, and be sure to let me know what you think and provide any feedback. :)

---------------------
Ladies Night
What would you think if someone told you that the Earth was being invaded by giant bunny people from outer space? All right, now what if I told you it actually happened, and that was about 10 years ago now? Well, that's how it is. What's funny about the whole thing is the moment when you realize that life goes on. Regardless of how bad things may have been, or how certain you were that it truly was the end of the world... it wasn't. The sun still comes up the next morning, the world keeps turning, and life goes on as usual. It's remarkable how quickly things got back to normal. Almost like everyone cumulatively decided they'd rather just pretend everything was fine and keep moving forward like the whole thing was just a daze or a bad dream. So why not just sit back and enjoy the healing catharsis of filing paperwork or serving coffee?

Yep, that’s how it is, and that’s what I’m doing right now. Just killing time, letting my thoughts disappear amidst piles of paperwork to be sorted and emails to be replied, occasionally a phone call or two to be rerouted. There’s not much thinking involved once you get into the groove of it all, and that’s just fine with me. I wish they’d let us wear headphones, then I could really zone out for a while. Sure, after surviving a literal war of the worlds some people were inspired, they wanted to rebuild the world and do great things, the rest of us… we just wanted to be numb for a while. Drinking helps, speaking of which I see Lisa making her way down the aisle between rows of cubicles outside of the peripheral view of my monitor, which had been a psychedelic blur of pixelated colors running together for a few minutes now as I spaced out waiting for time to pass by.

Would I say Lisa’s a friend? Not really. Work friends at best, she’s not a bad person to chat with from time to time, but that doesn’t mean I’d go out of my way to see her outside of work or for the occasional excuse to split the costs of some drinks and a meal. I don’t really know if she considers me a friend either, but she sure finds it entertaining being around me and putting on her lipstick lesbian act after everyone’s had a few. She’s cute and all, but she’s like a sorority girl doing anything she can to get attention, just an act to get the guys to look at her even more. Just a tease.

“Hey Ezra, ladies night again, are you in?” She asks. Going out for Dinner and a few drinks after work has been a pretty consistent tradition for a while now so asking is basically just a formality, but it’s the routine no reason to break it.
“Sure, hitting the Brick again?” I ask. Again, basically a formality. Occasionally someone suggests a new restaurant or some obscure new place they’ve heard of, but more often than not come Thursday you’ll find a handful of people from the office down at The Brick enjoying a few drinks and some pretty good food while making ‘witty’ jokes about the kitschy décor or whatever’s playing on the flat screens on the walls. I recommend a Brick burger with their trademark rosemary garlic fries. As long as you bring a few mints or some gum you shouldn’t have to worry too much about offending anyone’s sense of smell afterwards. Of course if you’re not particularly expecting to hook up with anyone anyway, no harm no foul.

“Actually, some of us wanted to try something a bit different this time.” She replies. Immediately I’m a bit disappointed. Damn, I already grabbed a few mints from the front desk, I think as I maintain an open and curious look awaiting what new gimmick some of the girls want to try this time.
“Oh yeah?”
“Yeah, we were thinking, Hoppers.” She replies with a smile and laugh like it’s some deliciously naughty idea.
“Really? Hoppers?” I ask reluctantly, a sort of morbid curiosity welling up in my chest at the idea. Everyone knew about Hoppers, there was really no way you couldn’t. People were fairly well split on their opinions of the chain, either they loved it or hated it. Of all the byproducts of a real life war of the worlds this was probably one of the more unexpected ones; a chain restaurant promoting interspecies cooperation and understanding through delightfully tacky décor and a universal love of T&A.
“Yeah… Hoppers.” She repeats herself now leaning down with an intrigued smirk on her face. “Don’t tell me YOU’RE not interested in checking it out? Come on… Big bouncy bunny babes in booty shorts bearing—“

I cut off her annoying attempt at alliteration by rolling my eyes and saying, “You actually practiced that didn’t you?”
“And you didn’t even let me finish.” She scoffs quickly in reply.
“All right, save your sales pitch, let’s go.” I say signing everything off for the day and getting ready to go. Lisa lightly snickers the whole time, no doubt entertaining herself with more inappropriate jokes or ideas of what I might be thinking. Yep, the human race learns that aliens are real, survives the ensuing battle, makes peace and starts to rebuild. All without losing its sense of humor, there’s always time for a good old fashioned gay joke. What a wonderful world.
o..o ~squeak~
(\/)S
macrokat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Living with the Lepus

Postby Duct Tape Fanatic » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:32 pm

Oh, nice story. Very cute and has some Integration shades to it. I lol'd at the part about Hoppers, if earth really did get invaded by giant aliens, someone probably would try to use them like that after it was all ove.r
Fixing the world, one duct tape job at a time.
Duct Tape Fanatic
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby macrokat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks. The Hoppers idea was what really got me too. :)
I've seen plenty of stories about wars between macros and micros, invasions, etc. But it seems like stories focusing on the more mundane periods after the big event aren't as common. Though I know you've done a few yourself.

Speaking of which I just got around to reading the Night's Veil story this morning. Very good, I'm definitely relieved to see how things have turned out for that group so far. :)

Anyway, I figured there's gotta be something you can do with this formula so I wanted to choose some aspects that might turn things on ots head... first, choose an invading race that seems almost laughably harmless when you think about it. Then start thinking about some of the more interesting ways they might try to integrate or make people less wary of them. Once the idea for Hoppers came along I just had to run with it. Part two is already underway and looking to have quite a bit more interesting action and details than the intro so hopefully I can manage to keep a good flow going with this one.
o..o ~squeak~
(\/)S
macrokat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kusanagi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:39 am

Nice start, makes me wonder if the name was inspired by the infamous 'Night of the Lepus'.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/kusanagi/

http://giantessworld.net/viewuser.php?uid=27873 (something new has been added :o)

catch other stories by the drunken writer
Kusanagi
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby macrokat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:32 am

Lol, that would be pretty clever, especially concidering some of the similarities taking place.
But no, can't say I was being that clever when I came up with the title.
o..o ~squeak~
(\/)S
macrokat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby macrokat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Part 2: A hopping good time!

One thing about aliens coming to Earth, you don’t quite feel as weird or out of place any more. The fact that you’re a lesbian kind of gets dwarfed by the 40 foot tall bunny people walking around. People may still have their prejudices, but hey, at least you’re human. Not that everyone hates them or anything, they live with us now, and they’ve played pretty major parts in rebuilding after the war. In fact, it’s fairly unanimously accepted that the entire thing was a huge misunderstanding. The point of contention though is still, who caused it. That’s when you’re stepping into argument territory.

Overall the Lepus are pretty peaceful. Just like real rabbits they don’t even really eat meat, so they’re big helps when it comes to agriculture, in more ways than the obvious. There are still some weird things about them though… aside from the whole, 40 foot tall bunny person part… Even though they’ve started trying to integrate and live side by side with humanity, they don’t really live alongside us. They still keep to their ships. Some say it’s because they’re afraid of retribution from human extremists still holding a grudge, or that they’re still secretly planning a full takeover of the world and want to be prepared, but no one really knows for sure. Honestly, we just don’t know enough about them, and what we do know only raises more questions. Like the two rules.

Everyone knows that the Lepus follow two rules strictly; one, they only stay among humans and away from their ship for three days at a time. Two, no humans are allowed inside the Lepus ships. People have been inside their loading docks and outer bays and stuff, but no human has ever been allowed further into the actual living quarters or operational areas of their ships. Which just leads to more speculation and conspiracy theories; what are they trying to hide? Why are they only allowed out for three days at a time? There’s a ton of crazy theories, but no one really knows. I try not to think too much about it, I’d rather stay in that haze, at least a little longer. Of course walking right into their lair makes that kind of difficult.

The ride over wasn’t that bad. Lisa, myself, and a few others squeezed into a car and took the ride out toward the outskirts of town. I tried to tune out the chatter by staring out the window and watching the scenery pass by as the sun went down. I’m glad I’m not the designated driver this time, especially after having to listen to Lisa repeat her ‘Big bouncy bunny babes’ line for everyone else. Apparently she worked hard enough on that she was determined to get a response no matter what. Of course that lead back into more gay jokes, I just chuckled politely and played along. Everyone seemed to naturally assume I’d love being around huge half-naked bunny women so there was hardly any need for anything more than some subtle smiles and nods to play along. Lisa though, she sure didn’t mind putting on her lipstick early and redirecting focus on herself. I don’t mind, she wants the attention, she can have it.

Approaching the building there are a few things you can’t help but notice right away. One, it’s purple, like, there’s a LOT of purple. There are some other bright accenting colors, and flood lights spinning around to make the place look bright and festive but for the most part, it’s a big warehouse… painted purple. Next, it is ACTUALLY a big warehouse. Probably one that was reclaimed and repaired after the war, makes sense when you figure the place has to accommodate humans and giant bunny aliens. The closer we get the tighter my chest feels.

The last dying lights of the sunset are already starting to glimmer on the horizon as we get out of the car. The air already starting to cool off in preparation of the night, it smells fresh, clean. Of course the shimmering sunset and clean night air is obscured by the lights and sound emanating from Hoppers. From the outside it sounds like a strip club, guess that is part of the appeal though. It doesn’t look like the place is too packed as we approach the front doors from the parking lot.
“Welcome to Hoppers! We hope you’ll have a HOPPING great time!” a young girl in their trademark tank top and short shorts greets us when we open the door. She’s a human, but wearing a bunny ear headband and a poofy tail to fit in with the motif. “How many?” She asks, followed by “Where would you like to sit today?” You get a choice of where to sit, whether you want to sit in a section with a human waitress, or one with a Lepus, you can also choose which floor, lower or upper. There’s also the Lepus section on the other side of the building. It’s designed so that human and Lepus workers can sit together and eat and interact at the same table, but not too many people actually use it. TRUE Human/Lepus integration can still be a pretty touchy subject. As if being seen at the family friendly version of a strip club isn’t bad enough, you definitely don’t want to be seen at said strip club-lite being buddy-buddy with a Lepus. As I’m looking around and taking in the surroundings, Lisa and the rest have already decided where to go and start moving. I barely notice as my eyes catch one of the Lepus waitresses carrying a platter of food to some people on one of the second floor rows. If you were to see a picture of one of them you would think they were harmless enough, but when you see them in person, towering over you like a moving monolith, striding around effortlessly on foot-paws that could easily cover a person, it instantly takes your breath away and reminds you just how imposing they are even if they don’t intend to be.

Shit, everyone’s moving and I didn’t even listen to what they chose, I catch my breath and quickly catch up to the others following them to the table. “Something catch your eye already?” Lisa asks teasingly noticing my distraction.
“Yeah, the bar.” I reply with a challenging smirk, playing off her remark like usual.
“Uh-huh…” She replies with a wink to play it up.
I graciously extend my middle finger and blow her a kiss.
She smirks and slaps her ass before continuing to follow the procession up the stairs. Up the stairs? Of course… they wanted their little version of an adventure, of course they’d choose an upper level table in the Lepus section. It doesn’t take long at all for our waitress to arrive with a great big smile displaying two big white incisors bigger than your hand.
“Hi there! Welcome to Hoppers! I’m Carly and I’ll be your waitress today.” The giant woman says. It’s hard to judge her age. Their bodies are similar to ours, with the notable exceptions of fur and other rabbit shaped parts. The fur makes it hard to tell just how old she is, but her voice makes her sound fairly mature, if I had to guess I’d say around 20… or whatever their equivalent to 20 human years is. I don’t know if anyone’s figured out whether or not they age at exactly the same rate as we do or not yet. “These are for you…” She says sweetly as she gently reaches to the table and sets down five menus that look absolutely tiny in her hand. “Do you have any questions? Maybe ideas for any drink orders? I can give you a few minutes but if you know what you’d like right now I can HOP right to it.” She says with a playful laugh. I can’t help but smile at her demeanor, she genuinely seems to be enjoying what she’s doing despite how degrading it is.

“Yeah, I have a question… is your name REALLY Carly?” one of the girls asks. Ok, I was wondering that myself but wasn’t going to ask her, surely having to wear that outfit and make bad puns is degrading enough. I’ve gotta give her credit though, she handled it well.
“A-ha-ha yes, it really is.” She laughs without missing a beat. Oddly enough as she’s put on the spot with the embarrassing question I find myself mesmerized by her ears. It’s the way they move, perking up and twitching slightly as she accentuates herself or has to think about a question, swaying lightly side to side as her head turns. As if having a giant woman in front of you wasn’t disarming enough, seeing ears like slip and slides attached to her head and moving reflexively as she gestures and speaks just adds a whole other level to it all. I can’t help but wonder how her tail reacts. As my thoughts are occupied and eyes distracted they add a follow-up question.
“Ha-ha, REALLY? It’s not like… Ta’Shi or something like that?” they ask. Jeez, drop it already, I think inadvertently flashing a glare that says as much. Once again though she takes it in stride.
“Heh, no. That would be my mother’s name.” She replies with another laugh, and a wink. There’s something about it though… I suppose I hadn’t noticed it before, but I saw it now. A delay, the “subtle” ear twitches followed by just seconds of silent consideration before she acts or speaks as if she’s trying to comprehend what it all means and find an appropriate response before answering. She was smooth, almost had me thinking English was a native language to her. The others are too busy laughing and reveling in how adventurous they are to be joking around with a Lepus to notice these sort of things I imagine. I think I can save her though.
“I’ll have a Long Beach iced tea.” I speak up over the chuckles and scattered comments of the rest drawing the huge woman’s brown eyes directly onto me. Such a surprisingly normal eye color for someone whose fur is a soft pink hue.
“Long Beach iced tea…” She mutters writing something down on a notepad, her motions are short and swift though, I doubt she’s writing in English, unless she’s already mastered shorthand for orders. “Ok, anyone else?” She asks, seeming slightly more at ease to focus on the orders again rather than personal questions.
“Jeez Ezra, starting off kind of heavy don’t you think? Sure that’s a good idea?” Lisa asks after placing her own order for a mango martini, followed by our other coworkers ordering their own various light drinks.
“Yeah, seems like a great idea to me.” I reply with a grin before looking to the side to see our giant waitress Carly walking off to fulfill the drink orders. I wonder if she’ll really be able to deliver them without spilling?
o..o ~squeak~
(\/)S
macrokat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NeoVid » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:37 pm

I'm liking the unique take on the alien macro method. "First contact and conflict are over, so now what?" You already answered the question I had about the start of the war (neither side believes they started it... suuuure), and both sides forcibly trying to make interspecies interaction an everyday, normal thing is a new one.

Also, giant fluffy rabbit ladies, yes please. 40 feet tall is a smaller difference than the usual macro scales, it'll be interesting to see if that changes how they interact.
Founder of the Macrophilia Overthinking Society
NeoVid
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby macrokat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:42 am

Thanks. I already had the idea floating around in my head for a while, but after a few chats on writing about stories about macro wars and battles between macros and micros, etc. I finally figured, you know what, I'm gonna try and run with it. Then, as stated in the comments above, after coming up with a few more interesting ideas to solidify things, I just had to give it a go.

I kind of like the Lepus being 'smaller' macros as well. Because it simultaneously makes them more easily relatable, while still reaffirming that they are huge and imosing despite not being what most people around here would consider to be big macros.

I'm also trying to do a few things i don't normally do with my stories in providing more background detail regarding their world and setting and a fair amount of exposition. Though I'm keeping it within context. Ezra isn't some scientist or a military officer or anything, so even though she may occasionally seem pretty knowledgable about the things going on around her, she is just a normal person and has the same information via world of mouth or news releases, etc. as everyone else. So just like any normal person you have to consider that she really doesn't know the full extent of things going on , but is generally knowledgable enough.
o..o ~squeak~
(\/)S
macrokat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gadabout » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:47 am

Giant rabbits eh? You must introduce giant wolves to rectify this rabbit infestation. Short but a good hook, keep em coming my boy >:I
RIP Baggy52.

Mutual Benefit - In Progress... 21/40 -> 52%
Cause for alarm - In Progress... 5/10->50% >|+|< No Cause for alarm - COMPLETE
gadabout
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby macrokat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks. Though I don't think the world needs a giant wolf problem on top of an existing giant rabbit one. ;)

Besides, this one isn't about the big conflict type story. If something like that was gonna happen it'd have to be saved all the way til the end as a cliffhanger for a sequel. XD
o..o ~squeak~
(\/)S
macrokat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Macro Story