Dusty's Flash Fiction Thread (Second Story added!)

A place for writers to offer creative feedback and post works in progress.

Re: Dusty's Flash Fiction Thread (Second Story added!)

Postby TendoTwo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:56 pm

macrokat wrote:First, as I said last time, with these short stories, you're always looking for the twist, and this one genuinely caught me by surprise.

Pretty much this, whenever a story opens with a macro chasing a micro, you just know there has to be some sort of twist in there, although usually its a reveal that they were playing, family, or in a relationship. Having it actually be a chase but the reveal being that there are three sizes in that world and shes in the middle was not what most would be expecting. As well as the further reveal of him being her brother rather than just a bigger fish coming to save the little guy (although its ambiguous if he really did need saving).

As macrokat also mentioned however, I guess it's understandable why one of the middle sized people would do that, as mean as it is (I guess it also depends how most macros treat the middle sized people), the feeling of power and invulnerability... although hopefully being around macros she also realizes how terrible that can also be to have someone so much larger going after you for no reason (I love how her brother actually pointed this out) and wasn't serious on her threats.
TendoTwo
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Duct Tape Fanatic » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Very funny. I liked how the main character turns out to be smaller than someone else which might possibly be why she picks on those she's bigger than. It's an unfortunate fact of life that kids tend to "learn" that big picking on little is right if they've been subject to it. Don't worry about timeframes so much, just because a story is short doesn't mean it should be popped out instantly, I often have to set a short story or even a flash piece down for an extra day or so just to decide what I want to do with it or get over a place I'm stuck at.
Fixing the world, one duct tape job at a time.
Duct Tape Fanatic
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby gadabout » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Well, that just goes to show that there's always someone bigger eh? Though I've got a bad feeling about that amelia character, while she does seem to be the playful type, she could seriously end up hurting someone D:

Ah well, in the end, youve made some good stuff, good job my man :D
RIP Baggy52.

Mutual Benefit - In Progress... 21/40 -> 52%
Cause for alarm - In Progress... 5/10->50% >|+|< No Cause for alarm - COMPLETE
gadabout
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Berserker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Definitely great to see new fellow writers. I'd personally say don't limit yourself to flash fiction if you can help it; you certainly have talent, and I'd like to see how you handle something longer. Not that you have to of course, I'm probably quite biased because a few things I've written were originally intended to be flash fiction but ended up as longer pieces that I prefer in the end. That being said, you're handling the quickness and detail of flash fiction very well.
Berserker
Gojira
Gojira

Postby El_Dustino » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Aww... thanks guys, for all your kind words. :3 I'm really happy that you all liked this story so much, especially with how nervous I was about it. Maybe I am just a little too hard on myself? I dunno... I just assume that whatever I put out will suck. Still, your guy's posts have definitely helped me overcome that feeling, some. :3

I'm also especially happy that the twist was so surprising for some of you. :3 I thought it would come off as extremely obvious. Is it maybe just hard for someone writing something to see their twist as surprising, just because the write obviously already knows what's going to happen before it does? That's always been something that concerned me, worrying that my twists were too obvious. But bah, I sound way to insecure. X3

Anyways, thank you again guys. :3 And Berserker, I do fully intend to write longer pieces some day. :3 Things of actual short story length, things with multiple parts, you know, stuff that most writers here do. :3 I've wanted to for a long time, just... never really happened. Writing Flash Fiction is a way for my to refine my skills, get used to writing and uploading, and get my confidence up some. :3 It's preparing me for the longer stuff. So, one day... hopefully soon, but I don't want to rush myself. X3

I do actually have some vague ideas that I intend to try to make into a multiple part story this year, though I am still trying to flesh the world out, and figure out where the heck I want to go with it on my down time. I have some ideas for characters, but... well, I have always been a bit nervous about posting a part of a story when I doubt know where I want to go with it already. :/ Not sure why, just afraid that I might never continue it, I suppose... anyone ever get that feeling?

Anyways, long enough ramble. :3 Thanks again guys, you're awesome.

1/2 Fairy Hero Yo!
El_Dustino
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Duct Tape Fanatic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Short fiction is a pretty good way for me to figure out a larger story, and I've had short pieces turn into longer stories just because I liked the characters/setting and wanted to use it some more (like my current project, Upstaged.)

Also, if you're worried about continuation, I've recently started outlining my stuff and it really helps get stuff finished, I'd be happy to share my techniques with you.
Fixing the world, one duct tape job at a time.
Duct Tape Fanatic
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby El_Dustino » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Hmm, that is an interesting thought. :3 I remember now, yeah, Upstaged originally begin with a short piece called The Show, which itself grew, got a sequel, and then Upstaged came up.

And, I would love that DTF, thank you very much. :3

1/2 Fairy Hero Yo!
El_Dustino
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Previous

Return to Macro Story