Crypsis (No Man's Land)

A place for writers to offer creative feedback and post works in progress.

Re: Crypsis (No Man's Land)

Postby TendoTwo » Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 am

Berserker wrote:If you liked that then I'm certain you'll like what happens next.

Uh oh, I'm not going to have to que the "Dun dun dunnn" am I? :wink:
TendoTwo
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Berserker » Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 am

Uh oh, I'm not going to have to que the "Dun dun dunnn" am I? :wink:

That would depend on whether or not you would describe certain intimidating canines as "dramatic" 8)
Berserker
Gojira
Gojira

Postby Berserker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 pm

Small update for now, but the rest is very well underway and nearly done.

----“You got everything?”

Dexter sighed and prevented himself from shooting off a glare. Instead he motioned first to the clothes on his back, then all around him, outside nearing midday in the city of giants.

“Bit late to ask that.”

“Just making sure.”

It's a miracle I've managed to put up with him for more than five minutes, Dexter concluded. Why, barring the earlier events that he'd already begun to block from recent memory, he could find little reason to tolerate him in the first place—no, no, those thoughts had to go, and for good.

“I just...something's bugging me,” Randall said suddenly. It went without answer. “What if I told you right now that I found out who destroyed Wardston? What then?”

Dexter huffed. “If you did, then I'd say I don't care.”

Randall slung his head back and measured up Dexter multiple times, shocked vulnerable with genuine disbelief. It was no common treat to catch in action, but the bull could hardly bring himself to notice.

“...You're serious? Not even for Rey or Alice—”

“It's not any of my business anymore,” he said flatly, determined. “Hell, they could throw a stick of dynamite down the Undersector and I wouldn't be inclined to give a damn. Might just thank 'em for finishing the job. My role here's over.” His march accelerated just a touch.

Randall stood mum for a few seconds, both impressed and somewhat afraid at Dexter's ability to dispel doubt and his sudden change of heart. “Whatever—hey, hold on!” Randall jogged to match his pace. “We're getting close to the square. Stay near me. Wouldn't want to see you off as anything less than intact.”

“Oh, why thank you. It's that gentlemanly aspect about you that I really appreciate.”

Randall stuffed his hands into his coat and let his eyes compete in a circuit to decide which was more jaded. “Yes, yes, fuck you too.” Perhaps for the better, he was entirely unable to come up with a return jab.

A further bit of walking. “Lots of activity...should've waited 'til later,” Randall muttered. “But we're here now. I'm sure they're too distracted to care much anyway.”

Indeed, the square was quite active. There were plenty of giants doing their daily things, though none of them interested either tiny.

“Maybe.” Dexter's gaze was tentative, lingering somewhat on a certain event going on. Was...was that the rally Rey had planned, he saw? Should've been there myself, the bull thought uncertainly. At first that was all the mind he gave to it. What concern that remained had all but dissipated by such a point. Besides, Rey could handle himself...

Wait. No. Something was wrong. The twinkle in the brown-furred collie's eyes; he could see it even from here. And she had something in one hand—

Dexter burst into a sprint.

“Dexter?” Randall yelled back. “You idiot! Come back! Dexter!” But it was no hope, even as he gave chase, for the bull's lumber outpaced the fox's stride by leaps and bounds. Randall slapped his hands at his sides. “Fine. You go get yourself killed.”

The albino stepped down, his piece said. Granted it had spanned over five minutes on its own, and what Rey wanted to stake in was hardly a fraction of that. There was no time for clapping or applause, nor was there any real incentive or provocation to do so. It was possible both rabbits preferred it that way.

Max scratched his throat and turned to Rey forebodingly. Already his snowy counterpart was beginning to suspect the issue.

“I...I must go,” Max said to his cousin in a soft murmur, the sound of reluctance being pushed away stark in his tone. “I've pushed my time as is. I must get my rest.”

“You're leaving me here now?!” Rey had trouble keeping his voice down. “B-but you're the only reason I'm safe! They wouldn't dare hurt me while you're here, it'd be too...I don't know, taboo-y!”

“There isn't a thing I can do about it,” Max spat, trying to avoid being harsh without major success. “I am sorry. You will be fine, I promise.”

Rey found himself unable to say anything in return. It was true, only four hours of normalcy—the rest was agony. He knew this too well. For what mattered, Max was probably out and about longer than he should have been. Silent, the albino turned away and began to hobble in the direction of his home, stumbling with a patternless beat every so often.

Rey expected this…but it was true that there really was nothing that could be done about it. Well, if worse came to worse, at least he could say that he tried.

The rabbit approached the microphone, noting the giants again. The collie, the jaguar, and the badger.

The collie in particular was most definitely eying him with an amount of impatience, as if she wanted nothing more than for him to finish talking so she could just eat him and be done with it. With a quickening heart and rushing hormones, he just hoped that it was the cynicism caused by such that made him think those thoughts.

“H-hello, people of Scotton.” Yeah, all three of you. “I-I've had plenty of my own experiences with giants such as yourselves.” Rey barely prevented himself from cursing in light of his preemptive stutter. “Most of said experiences were life-threatening. I'm surprised and pleased all the same that those of you here decided to set aside your prejudice for a few minutes.”

All of a sudden, Rey couldn't help thinking he'd said the wrong words. He saw a smile or two if he wasn't being paranoid, plenty of teeth; the rabbit could not shake the feeling of being back on his first day on the job—vulnerable, naïve, and all too willing to put himself into danger. Truly, his was a fate in completely arbitrary hands.

If he was lucky, those hands wouldn't curl into fists with him in them.

“All I want to say,” he continued, “Is that I’ve had to put through a lot being here in Scotton. I’ve learned that not all giants are bad, and I honestly want to assume the best from each of you. I know we might seem like pests because some of us take from you and we’re where you’d rather not have us—I’ve met someone who used to dislike us for that very reason. But she’s changed, and she sees it the way we do. Things shouldn’t be this way and she knows that.” Avoiding names was harder than it sounded. “I’d like to leave you with those words—think about which tinies are like that and which aren’t. We’re all people, and that’s all there is.”

Again, no applause. The badger was done waiting; following a few uncertain looks back and forth he walked away, leaving only the jaguar and the collie. Those two stayed, chatting briefly with each other. Rey knew his time to leave was just about nigh, but he couldn’t resist sizing up the collie. She wore a loose-fitting blue dress over a brown corset and had the strangest glazed look in her eyes. He couldn’t make out many details of the jaguar due to her position behind the canine giantess, but her scarlet sunset hair struck out as her head poked from behind the collie’s shoulders.

Apparently done talking, the dog snapped her head back to the general position of Rey, forcing a swallow from him, and then she started pawing toward him. Realizing what was happening he began away from the podium, but he had made the decision too late; clumsy though her hand-eye coordination might have been, she effortlessly reached and snatched him from the ground, pulling him up to her level of vision.

Ah, damn, he managed to snap in his head. Arbitrary fist.

“I told you it looked cute,” she said. Rey shook away his daze from being heaved up so quickly, but a new daze caused by hints of bitter alcohol along the warm breath washing over him replaced it. “Look!” The jaguar with sunset hair rested her chin upon the collie’s shoulder, inspecting Rey with adequate interest.

“Heh, yeah.”

“Hey, little guy! I’m Elsa.”----
Berserker
Gojira
Gojira

Postby NeoVid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:23 am

And the only people to stay for the whole "event" were a pair of drunks who didn't even notice the message, and call him an "it." Not a good sign for the future of tinies in general... and definitely not for Rey personally.
Founder of the Macrophilia Overthinking Society
NeoVid
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby TendoTwo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 am

Well, I feel like an idiot not realizing the collie was the same one Fiela was talking to until NeoVid basically spelled it out.

Ouch, bad enough there was only three people, as NeoVid said, pretty much nobody of those three cared, that's one hell of a mountain for them to climb before anybody even starts noticing them.

I am a bit confused why Rey muttered "Oh God" at the end of the previous chapter if nothing happened at that point, I assumed it was a cliffhanger because something happened or Fiela had shown up, especially with the mention of "intimidating canines" being dramatic :P

At the very least, considering Elsa called him cute and introduced herself she doesn't seem interested in Rey as a snack.... maybe.
TendoTwo
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Berserker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 am

Compensation for the shortness of the last one--that one and this one are pretty much one and the same as far as I'm concerned. Now, I'm not gonna lie, I like Elsa a little more than I should, and had a load of fun writing her up. Also, there shall be no more updates until the rest of it is finished. Shouldn't take too long.

Right?

----Taking in the face of this new giantess was no easy task. Rey found himself comparing her to Fiela, the easiest thing he could compare her to. She was beautiful, but certainly in a different way; her eyes were soft and blue, she had slightly looser lips to conceal the sharp teeth, and her brown mane was just so deliberately brushed. Where Elsa was gentle—or appeared to be—and cared much for her appearance, Fiela was much more ambivalent and self-sorted.

Rey might have respected Elsa that much less due to those thoughts.

“Er…have any questions?” Rey stuttered.

“Um…nah, I guess not really,” Elsa replied, eyes orbiting around him while never retaining contact with his own. “I’ve only seen a couple tinies before though—they’re so adorable!” she gushed. Rey’s ears flattened, but he tried to keep a straight face. “Really, why don’t I see more of you? Well I guess that’s a question too, but…okay, yeah, I do have a question.”

“Pardon, but I did just finish explaining why…”

“Hm? You know what I think,” she continued, less as inquiry and more as a statement, “I think that I like you. Can I take him with me Sam?”

The jaguar, apparently named Sam, giggled at her compatriot’s stupor with closed lips. Apparently she was quite soft-spoken, for she only responded with a hypothetical, “You could.”

If Rey had hackles worth giving a hoot he knew they’d be raised, and fiercely. Being toyed with wasn’t on his to-do list, especially not by a couple of inebriated predators.

“I’ll object to that one—w-what do you want with me?”

He had a sinking feeling that he already knew.

“Oh, just goin’ out for a walk, I guess,” Elsa rumbled. “I saw a flyer a couple days ago and, well, I thought it would be kinda neat. Check it out, meet some people…stuff.”

Elsa cocked her head ponderingly, then continued analyzing Rey with childlike wonder. However, a glance behind her allowed Rey to note that the jaguar—Sam, yes, that was her name—was keeping some sort of watch. Where Elsa scanned him, Sam scanned the crowds of various people. Was there someone she was waiting for?

“Well, nice meeting you then,” Rey finally said, loosening up just a little more. But he almost instantly tightened up again when her grip did as well, and she replied.

“I said people.”

Shit.

“I don't think I get it though,” the collie blurted, somewhat slurred. Her grip remained as tight as it had ever been with Fiela, to the slow cracking of Rey's composure. “What's the point of this...thing? Isn't doing much of anything for you, doesn't look like.”

To anybody else, what the collie just said might not have made the most sense. But to Rey it was clear as day, and that was not quite something he was thankful for. He was finished. Why now? Why during only the most obvious of setups, and why when he could least be accused of anything that could be remotely considered deserving? Those were things he felt right then he could never figure, even if he had a couple years to think about them first.

There was just no pattern in the life-or-death situations he found himself in.

“Sometimes I had to wonder the same thing,” Rey said in a mix of a disappointed mutter and friendly conversation. The collie returned a tilt of her head in a cautious show of curiosity. “...It's just too bad, huh? I have the feeling you're not gonna set me down and let me off, I mean. I've seen it happen.”

The giantess seemed to take time to consider that—or, more likely, think simply about the statement at face value. “Well you're cute—kinda handsome, yeah? I think so, a bit.” She let a long tongue loll out from her jaws to lick her lips but briefly before yanking it back in, enough of a time for humid bitterness to be caught and winced at. “Did someone ever tell me it was bad to eat a good-looking tiny? I'm not too sure...”

Rey cringed, looking disgusted. “You really can't make this easy, can you?”

“Make what easy?”

“You're horrible,” Rey sneered. If it was going to go this route, he had no qualms with pushing the envelope one last time. He made a few notes regarding his cage of fur; with a bit of work he could wriggle free and possibly escape, but where would success be found there? No, he had no option other than to stay. This was the time for defiance, not cowardice. That defiance surged inside him, and suddenly he realized that he didn’t care if he went out committing himself.

“I'll give you the benefit of the doubt—you have a drinking problem, don't you?”

Rey caught an “Ooh” then a snigger from behind his captor, belonging to the onlooking jaguar who surely had nothing better to do than stick around and audience his eventual demise.

“That's none of your business, I-I'm sure.” A light redness sprouted beneath Elsa's cheeks. “I don't see anything wrong with a chaser.”

“It's too late for a chaser; it's all gone straight to your liver by now, right?”

The collie let her shoulders slump and ears flatten, disheartened and visibly offended. If there was any chance of Rey skittering out of his predicament, he knew he had just smashed it. “Why do I get the one with the lip?” she inquired to nobody, ignoring the jaguar as she burst into cackles. Seemingly not wanting to waste any further time trying to converse with her prize, “Whatever. No point in talking with food, 'specially not ones that talk back.”

“—If by that you mean point out your flaws—”

Elsa slowly and curiously tugged Rey closer to her face, studying him and his words with half-functional eyes flanked by surprisingly precise eyeliner, the gears behind which working furiously, where Rey found an astute level of dumbstruck. A luminescent anger then lit up her face as his sentence struck her.

“...Little shit!” she barked, sending another foul cloud his way. The collie bit her lip roughly, an act that emphasized her spectacular failure to hide embarrassment and her deep thinking of a good retort, which she couldn't manage to accomplish. Witless, she instead opted to squeeze harder on the rabbit.

“What's with this one? It's like it fucking wants to die.”

“Let's be honest,” choked Rey, saving as much breath as possible, “What are you going to do to me that I haven't seen before?” He gasped again as a single finger twitched harder than the rest. The pressure was quickly becoming unbearable. “And if you were as considerate as you purported to be by coming here, why would you be so ready to kill me?”

Rey was all too aware of the density of his spit that he was rapid-firing in the face of death, but that wouldn't stop him; not while he was ahead and the option to backtrack was never present to begin with. Fiela's an entirely different case...this one went out of her way to oust me!

“Heh...I dunno.” It seemed she was done stalling. Her voice grew somewhat ominous, less angry. Likely, the behemoth was simply happy that she had her captive right where she wanted him. Most frightening to Rey was how her voice seemed to become much more purposeful and…clear as her visage grew darker. In fact, it was genuinely terrifying, nearing the degree he had felt during his hostile encounters with Fiela. Perhaps cowardice really would have been the better decision.

“Well, I guess I dunno what you've seen, but there's one thing I can get to say I was the first to do. I wouldn't wanna disappoint you. And boy, after all the degrading you've done, it's gonna be pretty sweet.”

Rey's heart took a bungee jump as the furry vice loosened. Down the rabbit fell, a poorly estimated half the giantess' height all the way to the unforgiving ground, staking a sharp pain into just about every inch of his body upon impact. The rabbit could not withstand the pummeling of an agonized cry against his lips, which sprung apart to release it.

Now this was new. Why couldn't his surprises ever be pleasant ones?

He wasn’t dead and he doubted any bones were broken beyond repair, but damn him if it didn’t hurt. Memories of Derek’s fate wriggled like ravenous parasites into Rey’s brain, ignoring all other prominent thoughts regarding survival and escape that would otherwise be flooding him, and might have been able to save him.

His teeth and fists clenched as he lay on his side, Rey rolled onto his back and forced his eyes open against his better judgment—only to be greeted by the underside of a raised paw, toes curling and splaying, ready to pave him into the dirt for good. The rabbit anticipated some last words Elsa would surely want to let him hear before his end, like a villain at last claiming victory over the overconfident hero, but none came. This wasn’t that kind of battle—it was a one-off removal of a common pest that fought back too hard. And for some reason that stung more than anything she could have said to him.

Rey braced himself.----
Last edited by Berserker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berserker
Gojira
Gojira

Postby NeoVid » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:49 am

Yike. Someone who thinks tinies are cute still had no problem going to a micro rights event just to catch one. ...And for a sex game, from the sound of it.

This setting just keeps looking grimmer and more impressive.
Founder of the Macrophilia Overthinking Society
NeoVid
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby TendoTwo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 am

Ummm, wow, that went a LOT darker than it looked like it was heading in the previous chapter.

Actually, at first, I couldn't tell what exactly Elsa was after, it feels like Rey knew long before I realized. First she seemed to imply keeping him (like a pet?), then implied eating him, and then crushing him.

On one hand, Rey was worried this really would be the perfect event to be caught at since they would be out in the open with the giants who would know they are going to be there, but its still kinda hard to believe someone would go out of their way at a rally that is trying to speak about peace just to catch a micro to kill.

So pretty much, not a single person cared about the rally.... ouch.
TendoTwo
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Duct Tape Fanatic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:48 pm

I like how both Rey and Elsa are described as cute yet each has more spine than one would normally expect from such outwardly fluffy species.
Fixing the world, one duct tape job at a time.
Duct Tape Fanatic
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby RaddaRaem » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:20 am

Holy hell. Elsa seems like a pretty mean drunk. Props for how you handled that presentation of Rey's! It was somehow disheartening and refreshing to see something played as straight and stark as that. If the furs Rey's size are hoping for any change, it's gonna take a while.
RaddaRaem
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

PreviousNext

Return to Macro Story