Before you leave, read this

Archive of the "Macro Chat" forum

Postby 13years » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:20 am

I do not agree with Rattus's concept of insulting or mistreating a newbie to "toughen him up" or "test him out" or "see how he takes criticism (blatant scrutiny)" being something we SHOULD do...EVER.
I do, however, agree with the fact that it does happen. There's no doubt that that seems to be an unfortunate trend. It wasn't always around here...not as much, at least...it just seems to be what people like doing at this place...which is sad.
Furbase Page (13years & link to Taylor):
http://furbase.bigfurs.com/index.php?FurID=1018
FA Page (Frequented):
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/13years/

Drop me a PM anytime or send an email to 13yearsmdc@gmail.com.
13years
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby bennie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 am

Rattus wrote:I'd just like to point out, there is this phenomena called 'hazing', which pretty much every tighter-knit community has to one degree or another.

Crap. You mean I'm allowed to haze people? Let me hand the paddles out because I think you need to run the gauntlet.

Honestly, you just equated an online discussion forum to initiation into the Hells Angels.

I don't feel content to condone stupidity and abusiveness as something "normal." And yeah, I know the world isn't going to be perfect.

At the same time I don't mind striving for a standard to which the wise and honest can repair.
bennie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rattus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:06 am

bennie wrote:Honestly, you just equated an online discussion forum to initiation into the Hells Angels.

So you're telling me all those ball peen hammers I got for us are not going to be put to any use? Damn.

Basically put, I seem to have fucked myself over with equating duration of involvment with sanity. My bad. What it really comes down to, boiled to the bone and put into layman's terms is, if someone is posting in the blatantly wrong... they get called out on it. They get, in essance, mocked for it. As close as one can come to mocking using ascii instead of an auditory Nelson Muntz 'Ha-Ha'. Really that's the critical difference. When a person goes off about how evolution is a dirty lie, a drunken tirade about a gag image they got from a contest, sympathy for the psychopathic, or really washed up and tired nationist sentiment... Some won't stay silent. Ignoring some broken records helps, but yes, hassling people for saying dumb fucking shit is more, lasting.

You guys kinda all proved this by jumping down my throat given any and every opportunity, but you just don't hold that standard for everyone. Which is a crying shame.
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods
to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!"
Rattus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby bennie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 am

Rattus wrote:You guys kinda all proved this by jumping down my throat given any and every opportunity, but you just don't hold that standard for everyone. Which is a crying shame.

Nah. I don't think people jump down your throat to prove any social theory. I think they jump down your throat because you treat folks like an asshole and consider it to be something ok to do to new folks.
bennie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cerberus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:26 am

bennie wrote:Crap. You mean I'm allowed to haze people? Let me hand the paddles out because I think you need to run the gauntlet.

Best idea pitched in this thread so far!

I call all hot chicks!
Attachments
smackass.gif
smakka smakka smakka
smackass.gif (32.25 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
cerberus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby bennie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:26 am

I suppose while this thread picks up I should poke at other things too.

Wolfman-Al wrote:Thank you. Thank you very much. Now there are two left which need a taste of the hammer...

It takes a lot of chutzpah to be posting something like that. You're not exactly the most loved person present. The art contests got stopped and then the Christmas exchange got to be creepy.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be a little less combative.
bennie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Killosk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:49 am

bennie wrote:I suppose while this thread picks up I should poke at other things too.

Wolfman-Al wrote:Thank you. Thank you very much. Now there are two left which need a taste of the hammer...

It takes a lot of chutzpah to be posting something like that. You're not exactly the most loved person present. The art contests got stopped and then the Christmas exchange got to be creepy.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be a little less combative.
But I'm still awesome, right? :3
Killosk
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby The Blue Mage » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:59 am

Arnavon wrote:Sooooo... you're actually going to sit here and tell me that simply because someone is new to the fandom means they should be teased and hazed to find out if they're dumb, and then if they are run them off the forum?

as i said before if THAT'S how you'd try and build a community, you wouldn't get very far. The way you keep the dumbies out isn't by chasing them out, because again you're setting a terrible example for those who AREN'T dumb who may want to join,... if you want them gone simply ignore them.. after a while they'll simply grow disinterested and leave. I've seen it happen dozens of times.

Just because it's not the way the forum -should- be run, doesn't mean it won't happen. Conflict's inevitable, the best you can do is be tactile about it. Lord knows I earned my stripes the same kind of way. I'm a much better person for it now. Cruel though it may be, 'trial-by-fire' isn't as bad a concept as it's made to be. Final word is, don't be a jackass and you're in the clear.
Last edited by The Blue Mage on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is a glorious thing, a thing to be a pirate king.
The Blue Mage
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:02 am

I think Rogue is right in everything he says.
I think Arnavon is right in everything he says.
I think squirrels are evil but to cute to get rid of.
Same for rodents.
And I love watching bennie posting things! it's good to see them actually talk! (I didn't say anything about how they run the forum! I'm just saying it's nice to see them talk!!) and by "them" I mean 'the big ones'.
/*free/healthy internet opinion*
Last edited by DD on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DD
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Arnavon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:04 am

nice tiny disclaimer :wink:
Arnavon
Rampage
Rampage

PreviousNext

Return to Archive: Macro Chat