Before you leave, read this

Archive of the "Macro Chat" forum

Before you leave, read this

Postby ROGUE » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:12 pm

You know, we have gotten a certain number of folks on here who seem to think that a snarky comment makes them look clever. Snarkiness in the hands of a professional (such as a certain red-faced devil guy) can be very charming. In the hands of an amateur, though, it can really turn a person off to this community. We're seeing more and more of that, and because of these amateurs, macrophile.com has gotten a reputation for being overrun by trolls and not worth the trouble to visit.

That is really sad, because there's quite a lot of folks here who are really quite nice, and only a very few people out there who are too rude, too immature, or simply too dull to realize that they are doing more harm than good when they decide to cut someone else down.

The saddest part, though, is that so many people who are leaving are unaware of a very simple little feature that can make the problem go away:

http://forums.macrophile.com/ignore.php

I use this very freely myself, although usually only after the third or fourth instance of unnecessary incivility, since I understand that sometimes folks just have a bad day.

Try it. I think you may find that macrophile.com really is a very fine community once only a very few loud voices are removed.

(Note: for those too young to have heard it, "Snark" is a contracted form of "snide remark.")
ROGUE
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Apricot » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:54 pm

Or you could stop being the type of brain dead retard that needs to taken down a peg.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Apricot
Gojira
Gojira

Re: Before you leave, read this

Postby Killosk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:02 am

ROGUE wrote:Snarkiness in the hands of a professional (such as a certain red-faced devil guy)
I stopped reading after this.

Seriously, though, there are other solutions beyond pointing figures at a number of us and suggesting passive-aggressive tactics. Like, I don't know, trying to maintain a certain standard of quality from all sides? More active moderation? If someone does or says something incredibly stupid, though, I think they should be insulted. There's no other way to reprimand them, as it currently stands.
Killosk
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby ROGUE » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:09 am

Maybe you should have read the next four words before composing your reply.
ROGUE
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Killosk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:15 am

ROGUE wrote:Maybe you should have read the next four words before composing your reply.
It was more of a joke about you calling Chaswari a professional at being snarky. I did read your post, and already posted my thoughts on it.
Killosk
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Apricot » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 am

People who seriously use the word 'snarky' need to be lined up and kicked in the mouth.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Apricot
Gojira
Gojira

Postby bennie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 am

Apricot wrote:Or you could stop being the type of brain dead retard that needs to taken down a peg.

Wow. Looking at Apricot's posts (click on his profile and then view-all posts) I don't think I have ever seen a much more obvious Troll.

Banned.
bennie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Silverfox » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 am

And the ban hammer comes down at the speed of light.

Can't say that I am surprised...

"Gory, gory, what a hell of way to die!"
Silverfox
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby ROGUE » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 am

Was he trolling? I wouldn't know. I've had him on my 'ignore' list for a long time.
ROGUE
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Silverfox » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:43 am

Slightly more on topic is this question...

If you have someone on ignore, and then someone else quotes them later, as seen here, then would you be able to see what they said?

"Gory, gory, what a hell of way to die!"
Silverfox
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Next

Return to Archive: Macro Chat