The Cancer that is Killing /M/

Archive of the "Macro Chat" forum

The Cancer that is Killing /M/

Postby TesconWhitepaw » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:37 am

It comes to my attention, and undoubtedly other’s as well, that M.com has decayed from its former glory and prestige. There are elements that have arisen that have put a tarnish to gold by no fault of their own, but rather the very glisten that attracted initially. Talent otherwise well established decidedly uproots itself for greener pastures. People no longer wish to linger or suffer the insatiable flames that have engulfed otherwise innocent posts. [And I am guilty of that same arson at well, so do not feel alienated my friends!]

I speak of course about select individuals and prominent trends which have become abhorrent and downright moronic; the systematic pattern of offense and counter-offense, that swings back and forth like some paradoxical pendulum to the general misery of all involved.

To dispense with flighty tones and large words; the moderation and adminship of the site has come into a neglectful relationship by no intention of their own. Our beloved Big Tig stated initially this was a “hands-offâ€
Last edited by TesconWhitepaw on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are all made from the baset of elements
And that is why they show so clearly.
MW -

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more. - Mark Twain
TesconWhitepaw
Gojira
Gojira

Postby MasterNightBlade » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:48 am

I like the garden analogy.

It's become less about interaction, and more about one-upping other people in some way or other. Not that I mind really, I enjoy watching people go at each other like a pack of retarded chimps on crystal meth. There's too much ass kissing these days and not enough tough love, in my opinion.
MasterNightBlade
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby TShaw » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:12 am

I for one am all for even a slightly more hands on approach. As things stand now too many seem to be leaving due to frustration at the direction M.com has been drifting. I have to congratulate you for the subtle and eloquent way you’ve asked for the pilot to put a hand to the tiller, if only to give a slight course change and give everyone a sense of direction.
TShaw
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby bobpg98 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:05 am

tl;dr

CANCER
bobpg98
Gojira
Gojira

Postby KingDead » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:22 am

Damn I thought this was a speech about you being the new mod and someone was finally going to clean up the site Tesc.

I would love it if the mods and admins were more hands on. Things have gone downhill some without someone to provide that gentle nudge (or perhaps a squishing) to those who need it.
KingDead
Gojira
Gojira

Postby Killosk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:27 am

Treat the cause, not the symptoms.

If you want to foster a better community, then actually actively foster a better community. Banning a couple people and saying, "Welp, problem solved!" doesn't change the problems that allow trolls to foster.
Killosk
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DreamspinnerSethan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:21 pm

Fostering a better community is damned difficult when said community actively resists such changes. Sometimes explosively, to the point where it just isn't worth the effort. Especially true as the popularity of some people make them (for lack of a better word) untouchable, even as they gleefully ply their habits on the people around here.

There isn't any simple fix for any of this. Saying "well if you don't like it, change it" is especially jarring since it implies the speaker doesn't find anything wrong with the stated situation. It implies they're not going to lend a hand to help. One person can't do a damn thing.

And no, I'm not about to offer to help either. To put it mildly, I have enough problems in my life without picking up more responsibility to pick fights with people I don't know, won't meet, and have no qualms about "shooting back" thanks to the anonymity of the internet. There are more important things for me to attend to than this . . .

Which is probably why the administrators and owners of this place AREN'T tending said garden, in the first place. I'm willing to bet the Big Tig has much more to do in real life, so much that taking time out to "fix things" isn't on the top of his list.

My advice for the people who don't like what this place "has become"? Withdraw your creativeness and apply it to somewhere else open to the public. After a while, this place will either fix itself or it will collapse under its own weight of problems.
Don't mind me, I'm just killing time until I die in the most amusing way possible.
DreamspinnerSethan
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Ransom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:37 pm

DreamspinnerSethan wrote:My advice for the people who don't like what this place "has become"? Withdraw your creativeness and apply it to somewhere else open to the public. After a while, this place will either fix itself or it will collapse under its own weight of problems.

Well that's just the thing, where else are you going to find a macrofurry message board with as much history or activity as this one?
Ransom
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zurikat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Maybe I'm just too new, but I really don't see a lot wrong with this place.
Maybe everyone isn't holding hands and singing "It's a Small World" together, but for the most part I think the place has a good chemistry. Every large board has its trolls and overly sarcastic people. Frankly, I'm more bothered by the trolls (who are hard to control) than the people who are crass and have questionable senses of humor.

And what board is without its share of drama?

I don't know what this place was like before, but... I really don't think it's as bad as you all say it is.
zurikat
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DreamspinnerSethan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:03 pm

I don't know, and could care less. People already place their work on places other than here and mirror it on other sites. Those who want to keep seeing it probably might do well to find where that is and pay attention there.

As for the drama and interpersonal talk, LiveJournal has most of that anyway. Not like I'd know, I under-utilize mine.

If you want to replace this message board with another one, by all means find one. But they're pretty much all in the same boat with "cancer"; it just differs a little from place to place. Either friends with the admins get to act how they want, there are too many admins who are actively working, or the members believe they're each God's Gift to Macrofurry.

(Not mentioning the sites which are pay-to-access I've found. Elitism there is even worse. They PAY to have the right to trash anyone and everyone they think deserves it.)

In my humble opinion, Macrophile.com isn't THAT bad, as a fair number of the members here who contribute from time to time are really nice people. And a fair number also have their heart put into what they contribute. The trouble is in the voices of people whose only contribution to the site is to pick a target and rag on them mercilessly. That's the only contribution they put forward.

And yes, guilty as charged, mostly because I can't be bothered to put my mind to work on anything knowing I both won't be paid for my time (which at current I simply CAN'T give away) and for the most part the efforts will be released into a great void and never be heard about again. If I'm going to have that happen, then I might as well just treat it like a private exercise and do it for myself. Strangely enough, that's pretty much what I do now.
Don't mind me, I'm just killing time until I die in the most amusing way possible.
DreamspinnerSethan
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Next

Return to Archive: Macro Chat