What's your dream macro movie?

Archive of the "Macro Chat" forum

Postby Lennox » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:20 am

Exactly. I never said it would be easy to find.

Read enough, and I'm sure you'll find something not so far-fetched.
Lennox
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby FoxChess » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:08 am

How about one where the macro DOESN'T go on an insane rampage or stop a rampaging beast? Honestly, that horse has been beaten so badly there's nothing left of it but a pool of blood!
FoxChess
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ROGUE » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:14 am

What I find interesting is that with all the giant monster movies out there, filmmakers have been reluctant to show many closeup scenes of people being trampled, even though that's what audiences seem to want.
ROGUE
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby maxx mann » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Hear hear!!! I agree! They never show a good close up of punies being squashed. They may show a scene so quick you nearly miss it, or one scene out of the entire film, or simply imply trampling. What's up with that? They don't have to get all gory, just some good wholesome stomping. Is that too much to ask? :twisted:
maxx mann
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby FoxChess » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:34 pm

maxx mann wrote:Hear hear!!! I agree! They never show a good close up of punies being squashed. They may show a scene so quick you nearly miss it, or one scene out of the entire film, or simply imply trampling. What's up with that? They don't have to get all gory, just some good wholesome stomping. Is that too much to ask? :twisted:

Two reasons: One, it's complicated to do in CG, and two........ they don't want people vomiting in the theatre.
FoxChess
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ann'katar » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:22 pm

"Attack Of The 50 Foot Anthro Vixens From Outer Space"

Or was that a trick question? :D
Ann'katar
Rampage
Rampage

Postby Rattus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:35 pm

ROGUE wrote:Why don't they pander to what I want to see?

maxx mann wrote:Hear hear!!! I agree!

Although it does seem a bit unrealistic, one scene is usually enough. You need to limit a movie, with say, a two hour time limit before people start getting megabored or require need to take a traditional "middle of Titanic crap". You use time wisely.

Simply having one scene that shows people getting trampled would suffice in making the minor plot point of "oh yeah, the giant monster dealie IS killing people", and it would be just kind of excessive. Most people who come to watch the movies aren't fetishists, and would just get kind of weirded out if something was focused on with such intensity over say, the plot advancing.

Not to mention governments/city officials are usually depicted as competant enough to evacuate the area or tell people to head underground, but not usually competant enough to get the monster out. People just wouldn't be aimlessly loitering in the streets half an hour after everyone knows the giant slim beast is crushing over everything. Unless said people are our protagonists.

That and it is pretty fucking morbid, so usually trampling depictions are limited or portrayed in a black humor kind of way (think of the T-Rex scene from the third (second?) Jurassic Park where it's chasing a party through the jungle.

Above all though, two hours of just trampling would get damn old, and even the most hardcore macrophile would probably get bored with it.
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods
to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!"
Rattus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby maxx mann » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 pm

No need for the entire film to be about trampling, there's plenty of room for feasting and senseless destruction as well. All of which has been shown in films before... without folks hurling and blowing chunks into the aisles.

And of course there has to be a developing plot to keep it interesting. Such as the monster continually growing more huge by the hour. Or the hero gets killed.... or for the weak at heart, just horribly maimed just when you think the monster is about to meet it's doom. And let the monster win, sequels are money makers.
maxx mann
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Rattus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:08 pm

There's a good reason why you don't work in film production, then, maxx.
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods
to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!"
Rattus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Meanbean » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Whatever you decide upon, whatever story you decide to put on the big screen....

*drumrolls*...

Show the monster! Show it mutating, show it growing! Show it in all its glory as it rampages/rapes/ravages the HickTownUSA/city/planet/galaxy.

No matter what people say about "suspense" and "mystery", people at the end of the day go to a giant monster movie to see a giant monster. Especially people who like giant monsters period!

on a lesser note:

The story of the "boy finds small critter, and raises it to be a giant monster, then it stays loyal and fights for him" is too cliché'd for words, in my opinion, and more importantly, it is too "made for kids" for my taste. I much prefer the "boy finds critter, and feeds it, and then the monster turns on the boy and eats him, his family, his dog, etc etc." version.

Oh, and how about a giant monster movie where the monster wins?

-Meanybeany
Meanbean
Getting Bigger
Getting Bigger

PreviousNext

Return to Archive: Macro Chat