the life of a dragon

Archive of the "Roleplay" forum.

Postby DioDraco » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:36 am

I could see the humor in the wolf's eyes, I smiled back, he seemed accustomed to being remir. . . it was as if I'd lived with one for ages. . . why, I don't know, the only other remir I'd ever had the pleasure of meeting was that one ages ago. and he was only passing through.

but he seemed to be curious of my words. . . as if he didn't believe me. when he saw his image in the water, he seemed, shocked. . . perhaps he didn't know what he was.

"be calm zee, be calm. I assume you cannot speak. that is a pity but forcing it to come will do no aid"
may the wind always carry you upon it's breath
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Location: I hail from rhyterra home of the dragons of amanthia

Postby zukezorin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:10 am

Zee rolled and thrashed on the ground, bumping into the wall, wild eyes darting about. Still he clutched at his through, mouth flapping, but still no sound. Fear surrounded him...fear riddled with power. An unshakable sense of power. He rolled to his paws and scrambled swiftly on all fours towards the nearest window, turning back for a sad glance at Dio. Once more turning back, this time turning back with shame, he tensed his muscled limbs and spraing like a coil, straight out the window.

Far out side, the black form sailed down, a lope down the steep mountain wall, sprining from rock to rock with blinding speed and agility before once more launching high and quick, landing withing the treecanopy with an escalating crash. To those with keen eyes, plants and trees could be seen bending and swaying in a line through the forest, heading deep into the relative wilderness.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:12 am

it was, a suprise, his whole form was changed, and with it his personality. I was ready to offer consolation, tell him about his condition, but then he was off, turning away filled with shame, and confusion, and then he leapt out the nearest window, I knew he would be ok, the slope was not so treacherous on this side. I peeked out, watching him seem to flow down the mountain side with limitless grace. soon he reached the larger part of the canopy, and darted among the trees. and soon I lost track of him. I knew some of the form he was, and now, with little to do, I turned to my library.

it took me a while to hunt down the book I sought; it was hidden, among others I had not intended to put it among. it was a compilation i wrote myself well over one hundred years ago. documenting and naming several works describing the ancient beasts of war, the remir. my book was the notation of the remir that visited me those many years ago. I read my book cover to cover, a short read, yes, but filled with useful annotations, and thoughs, describing the wolf's personality, and demeanor, limitations, and strengths. the notable dislike of rain, the short temper, the pale blue eyes, the inability to speak. and more.

after reading my own notes, I spent more time, seeking out the other remaining works in my collection. I pored over the works of gambol and spinger, lorioc, and macantir. all noted authors on the subject. I noted in hte bibliography an interesting book; titled, "The Dead Weapon" a look at where the remir have vanished off to, and what they are doing now. I did not have this book, and it has been out of print for at least seventy years. but there were a few book stores i knew of; dealing in older books. I had a quest. I needed that book. and I would have it.

I required nothing, though I decided to wait for the storm to abate at least. for it raged on despite my desire to seek it out immediately
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:47 am

The rain fell heavily from the sky, soaking the ground and running off of leaves and plants in rivulets, the sound a dull roar. A herd of deer stood underneath the shade of two large trees, well protected from the mighty rain. The two fawns of the herd sat in the drenched grass not far from the edge, watching with wonderous awe at their first storm. The one buck meandered out into the rain, shaking off his fur and horns of moisture before beginning to root around at a particular bush.

The beast that was Zee flew through the woods, a flash of black dodging obstacles in a race to nowhere, rain lashing against his body, feuling the internal fire. Faster and faster he ran, rage overcoming his senses as the fury built to explosive levels. With nowhere to expend his bottomless hatred, he attacked himself. In a blur the next tree shot forward, one he could have easily avoided. The very air shuddered with the impact. Splinters flew as the tree was so brutally snapped in half, its towering bulk sliding and bending slightly as it rained down to earth, far behind the still speeding wolf.

The buck looked up, as well as the three does still under the trees foliage as the crack undulated through the thick air. He warily glanced around quickly, his ears twitching for any sound as he snorted lightly, a cloud of mist expanding in front of him. One of the three does ventured out of the shade, stepping toward the male while also swinging her ears about, pausing to listen.

Blood coated his fur with giant shards of woode sticking out of his shoulder and back, blood flowing gently as he picked up speed once more to repeat the act, his rage barely abated. The next monolith, far larger than the last rose up fast.

While the second of the does walked to the tree's trunk to begin eating at the bark, the third stood watch by the fawns. The youngings sensed the tension, and the youngest, frightened by the distancing of two of its does let out a grieved bleat.

A lone second before impact one ear twitched slightly, hearing something. He rocketed to the tree and seemingly ricocheted off of it as he manoevered midleap and landed paws first upon the bark, pushing off with enough force to rip the bark clear off as he flew in new direction.

The buck, having found a starchy tuber half exposed by the rain began to nibble in earnest, relishing the surprise treat. Either hearing the smallest sound, or sensing something approach, he lifted his 8 point rack and turned toward the rest of his herd. His glance was just in time to see the second doe exploded onto the tree by a black flash, her body shredded and crushed in a red mist instantly as the bark shattered. The whole tree split down along its length, and enourmous crack rising up a hundred feet into the low clouds. The third doe barely had a chance to start running before a massive bloody paw smashed into and through its chest, teeth clamping hard along its neck. While the blooded paw grapsed and ripped out half the ribcage, the neck and spine was speedily crushed, causing the head to separate and fall to the waterlogged soil with a heavy squelch, shortly before her internal organs spilled out of the chest and the body tossed aside with ease. The fawns never moved from thier reclined spot, bleating blindly. One was silenced as a giant black footpaw slammed into it with enough force to drive it a foot deep into the ground, and the other, scant inches away, was grabbed in a meaty paw, its frail body almost completely encased. With blinding speed he whipped his arm back, hurling the fawn through the air behind him. Already unconcious from the forces upon it, the deer died quietly as it impacted a distant tree, every bone its body fractured, brain a pinkish smear upon the wood.

The buck and remaining doe had several seconds earlier taken flight, and were just nearing the edge of the field. The enormous black wolf stood there on his hindpaws, breathing heavily and coated in blood and soil. The fury writhing inside him eased, and he reached a paw up to rip the large splinters out of his shoulder. The wounds, free of obstruction, already began to close and mend. Turning his head, he noticed the two deer dissappearing from sight...and the hatred blazed again. Dropping to all fours, he heaved off the ground and chased after them.

The forest stood stoically, blandly as the rain continued its deluge. Two frantic shrieks peirced the solitdude, echoing away into the air as they faded, replaced by a solemnly still silence.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:50 am

I had narrow hopes of finding the book, fully expecting to be gone for a day. but as the evening waned, and morning came, my friend had not returned, I hoped he had found refuge, and solace. I took to the air, feeling the cool, and moist air about me, it felt clean. so fresh, it was as if the world was given a good bath. it was a delicious feel on my wings, and I reveled in the flight. I found the first place to check, an old badger who holed away all the books he could, occasionally parting with one at the right price.

I stuck my muzzle down his door way, calling for him. though he did not have it, he knew of a friend of a friend who did, or so he recalls that he did. I shugged, and thanked him, after aquiring the best directions I could glean from his disjunct and difficult mannerisms.

I continued my search, fortunately, my travels are speedy, and I am able to move about. a made it to his beaver friend. who knew also of the book. pondering his message, he points me not in the direction of this friends friend, who he tells me the otter lost the book in a fire, but to another who has it. so, off I go again.

a few hours flight later, I arrive at the lastest place, by chance, also an otter. an older otter, she had a lovely place, and she invited me in, despite my head hardly fitting past her doorway, I tucked my head in, if only to be polite. careful to not scrape her ceiling. she was a good sort, and infact did have a copy. I begged her for it, and after some haggling, she produced it, much to my dismay, it was a damaged copy, half of the pages were bleached and charred away, the pages were falling out, I appologised but told her I needed a better copy. it was a shame to put he through the trouble, in part because she became upset, and promptly evicted me, I had the misfortune of getting a horn stuck in her doorway on th eway out, punching a hole in the screen, and even ripping it off the hinges, after a great ammount of oppologising, and removing the broken portal from my horns, i awkwardly and embarrasedly left her in peace.

I went aloft, but this time, had no direction. circling awkwardly I pondered long. and remembered an old friend, a book wyrm like myself, we usually swapped and shared books. referencing each other. but he was so far south, I never considered it, but since i was out that way, well. .. . it wasn't so much further. I rose into the sky, and made a beeline for his old home. hoping for the best.
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:07 am

The morning sun was still low in the sky, but already the land seemed new. With all the rain the previous night, the air was cyrstal clear. Wind ruffling his fur, Zee stared across the treetops at the landscape, much of it unfamiliar. Dropping down from the tree, hopping on a few branches along the way, he landed with a soft splash into one of the many puddles scattered around. A handful of birds sang and chirped in trees, the world bathed in golden, warming sunlight. With a deep inhalation of the fresh smell, Zee started walking towards a particular mountain dozens of miles distant. Lazily he strolled, head looking about and ears twitching while his footpaws carried him ever onwards. Around every tree, under every stone...life flourished.

Jumping with ease over a large rock, Zee found himself near the crest of a large grassy slope, leading off into a fenced-in field and a small house. Light tendrils of smoke lazily snaked their way into the sky, the white walls reflecting the sunlight brightly. A farmers cottage. Without a second thought about the home, he dropped to the grass. Laying there a moment, he began rolling and stretching on his back, rubbing it against the dry blades. Flipping up to his paws only to repeat the gesture, he moved several feet away. Running his nose through the thick grass and rolling more, Zee snorted loudly, flipping to his paws in a crouch barely an instant after his ears picked up something. In the grass a few yards away was a young canine pup, looking back through large, astonished eyes. He, for it was male, was barely four years old in appearance. Were they both standing erect, the young dog would be barely knee high to the black wolf. However, Zee remained on all fours low to the ground, and the pup hadn't yet learned to walk upright, leaving the disparity much less noticable. Both looked at one another for a long time. Those peircing blue eyes stared at the dog as Zee crouched further and moved forward. The pups eyes got a fraction wider, but he never moved...either too scared or too young to know the danger. With his muzzle nearly touching the forehead of the young pup, who's eyes had nearly crossed looking frightful at the giant black nose, the dog's eyes clenched at what happened next.

A tongue nearly as wide as the smaller canine's whole muzzle reached out and swiped up its face, leaving a trail of saliva glistening upon his fur. After opening the scruched eyes and shaking off his face, the pups muzzle parted in a smile, tongue flopping out as he panted in time with the wagging of his tail. Yipping playfully, the dog dropped to his back and rolled around on the grass, wanting to play with his new friend. Zee remained crouched, peering down with the same eyes icy eyes now filled with something...warmer. Slowly and purposely, The black wolf's paw lifted off the ground and drifeted over until it hovered above the offered belly. Pausing a moment, frozen mid air, the paw extended its claws--each nearly the size of the pups entire paw-- and pressed into the soft short fuzz. The lightest touch and softest movements had the dangerous looking claws raking across his belly, gleefull grumbles coming from his open maw while his footpaw twitched noticably. Both turned and looked as a feminine voice called out, surprisingly close. Though what she said was indiscernable, the pup started yipped out a "Mommy!" with the simple hapiness of youth, squirming under the claws which the lifted up. The pup rolled to his paws and began scrambling his way down the hill just as the head of a femme dog, similar to the pups rose into view. She crouched down and started whispering and cooing to her cub, nosing warmly. Nearly flattened against the grass, Zee had a profile almost as low as the pups was. Pushing up with his arms and rising to his footpaws, all of the femme came into view. He took her clothing, appearance, and mood quickly. The dress and apron with tiedback headfur spoke only of the farmer's wife she appeared to be. Rising from her own squat, she raised her head to glance in his direction. Her whole body spasmed as a scream shot from her throat, causing Zee to take a step back and flatten his ears. In an instant she had the pup in her jaws by the scruff of his neck and, against his yelping, was flying down the hill as fast as she could, which happened to be on all fours.

Zee stood there a moment, watching the tiny shape in the distance run into the farmhouse, the sound of a door slamming barely hitting his ears. Seconds longer he remained before dissapearing into the treeline leaving branches and bushings waving in his wake. A long time he walked through the woods, the carefree air about him gone. Stopping at a large puddle when thirst pulled at him, Zee crouched down and immediately hopped back. What stared back was a monster. Leaning in again slowly, the Blue eyes darted around the image in the water, taking in the details. The lower muzzle and forearms with paws were stained in the distinctive red/black of dried blood, with splatters across the face and chest. Everywhere else was a mix of matted fur, stickers and brambles, and caked mud.

Much time passed with the wolf staring at his reflection. Closing its eyes, the wolf dipped his head and began lapping hungrily at the water, his tears dropping and becoming lost in the sparkling rainwater.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:16 pm

it was evening, and I'd spent a great afternoon with my best old buddy. we laughed at old jokes. and had simple fun.

finally he slipped off my stomach, yawning. I nudged him forward, causing him to stumble from his awkward stance. hey silly, I do have a reason for visiting, besides tormenting you.

he seemed to change expression, growing almost harsh.

"and what might that be? come to steal more books? oh sure borrow, have you ever returned them? I"m not a library you know."

"oh it was that one time, come on. we're still friends! I sould think I pulled your bacon from the fire enough to settle things. be reasonable. look i'll buy the book I want off of you. you know I have more than enough gold."

"and i don't?"

" I never said you were impoverished! I was just offering to give you something in return! sheesh, don't get your back up. so easily."

"you do have a history with me, you know."

"hush, now then. I was looking for this book regarding. . . .

after describing the book and haggling over the details, he dissapears inside his little home, rummaging about, he returns with the prize, I smile as he stumbles a clinking sound as he steps on my payment. I looks more carefully, looking back. with a touch of confusion. as I take his offered book, I nod, yeah that's about three times the price you offered. hope you didn't lose any I was hoping you'd notice I speak louder as i rise bidding him a farewell, and fly off into the evening air. flying swiftly home to fix some strong tea and pore over the book in great detail.
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:22 am

The afternoon waned and evening soon approached, the skies dimming and turning a yellowed color. Long shadows stretched all around. When the afternoon breeze died off, the birds seemed oddly loud. Zee the 12ft bloodstained wolf plodded his way onward. Now several miles from where he last stopped, the large wolf was just as much closer to wherever he was going. His eyes were unlooking as he plodded through the underbrush, his mind seeming distracted. He stopped so abruptly it would have taken a moment to realize it, his arm up so fast as to be a blur. Bringing his paw around to the front, he opened it to find an arrow; feathers at tail and a mean looking metal head. The wolf turned and hopped back, seemingly for no reason until a thwack was heard. Looking back, a second arrow was vibrating softly whilst embedded in the trunk of a large tree. Voices could be heard, far off, and the rustling and snapping of the undergrowth approaching. Pausing a second, the paw still holding the arrow clenched, dropping splinters as the wolf vanished, dodging trees with grace and speed.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:32 am

I flew my way home, and set the book on the counter, as I brewed a cauldron of tea, I padded into the den, and curled up around the book, draping it open nearby, I had a stone carved to hold a book open, I never used my paws to open the pages, but after years of practice, I had strong telekinesis, and turned the pages with my mind, it was a necessary tool, as I ruined far too many books in my leathery paws.

it contained a lot of interesting notes, describing their fur color, tatoos on their backs, how they hid away after the wars. blending into the populace, diffusing. but the tea helped little even a well trained dragon was soon snoozing gently in the comfortable cushin, chin resting on the cool stone floor.
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:13 am

The epic chase what began in day continued through the twilight.

His motions a blur, he jumped and ran from tree to tree, bush to shrub, rock to creek and more. His body flew through the woods at high speeds, dodging this way and that, weaving a jagged path through the forest. The last of the days light was fading, and everything was cast in a deep blue light, the sky neon towards the west and inky black in the east, stars visable all across. Every time he moved, jumped and rollled arrows followed...or tried to follow. The persuers shouts and calls could be heard as the managed to keep up with him...barely. These were professionals. An ochestra of rustles and cracks sounded as a bolt finaly hit its mark, spearing into the large wolf's left side. Numerous plants were trashed and uprooted as he stumbled and crashed down an embankment, skidding to a stop in a dry creekbed. His head turned, blue eyes peering into the darkness when the sounds of his persuers grew louder and louder.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

PreviousNext

Return to Archive: Roleplay