the life of a dragon

Archive of the "Roleplay" forum.

the life of a dragon

Postby DioDraco » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:37 am

I just got back from this annoying task of keeping my home free of pesky creatures. knights keep bugging me, alchemists keep sneaking into my cavern for my scales, or some such thing. . . I'd chased out three this past week.

it was about time I build a bloody stone wall. I have a mountain to myself. . .oh various furries live around and about it. . . . hermits, or just those that live wild. and free. I chat with them often enough. . .

I'd been guarding a few special treasure items. . . well not treasure per se. . . they were of value for more than just currency. about seventy years ago, i"d been told by a great sorcerer that there would be need of these tools; and I was to safe guard them until the time that there would be a need for them; and the proper bearers came to claim them.

oh there were enough who came to claim them but none knew what I was guarding. . . they just came for rumors of treasure. I either persuaded them away, defeated them. . . or if they simply didn't leave, I was forced to kill them. though I avoided that where possible.

there was a tang to the air. a feel of change. it was happening. I kept a close vigil on my cave. I felt that my task was coming to fruition. much as I hoped to have done with it once my burden was taken. . . I knew that I would see it through to completion.

it was a bright shining morning in late spring. I banished such thoughts from my mind; I curled up out on the plush grass, just outside my cave entrance, and enjoyed the sun, warm on my emrald scales. perhaps today I could simply sleep, and relax.
may the wind always carry you upon it's breath
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Location: I hail from rhyterra home of the dragons of amanthia

Postby zukezorin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:26 am

...It was a bit too bright. A couple steps back. Adjust. Looking up, then back down again. Ready. Set.

*click*

His paw going to the side to wind up to the next negative making a soft whirring.

"That's going to be a good one." Zee said, though there probably wasn't a soul around for a hundred miles at least. It was a sunny day, though only sporadic beams mixed with shade reached the forest floor through the light foliage. THe ground was covered in soft grass and moss, especially along the rocks that line the creek that was babbling to his right, the subject of the most recent photo. Seeing as it was slightly warm, the grey wolf had hung his jacket on a branch back by the path, along with his stetson hat. That left him in his longshirt and waistcoat

"Still too warm" he said, now unbuttoning the cuffs and rolling them up to the elbows. Yawning lightly, he stretches his now uncovered arms skyward, showing that his arms are mismatched in color. His left hand and the entire right forearm is as dark as night.
As he continued through the glen heading further up a nearby hill. There ought be a great view of the surrounding countryside from up there, he thought. As his knee high boots were making deep imrints in the woodland detritus on his treck uphill, he spotted a valley hidden through a small ravine. Looking between the top of the hill and the lower valley, the naturalist photagropher decided to flip a coin. Pulling a silver crown out of his pocket, he gave it a quick flip and caught it midair. The stern visage of the reigning monarch stared back at him. Heads it is; to the valley.

The walk was pleasant, not more than a hours time, and then he saw it: a waterfall! Cascading down a rocky slope, scattered stands of trees and even a small lagoon at the base! What a find! He raced up the nearby slope up to the edge of a grassy field, never taking his eyes off of the picturesque sight.

"I should have brought more film!" he said excitedly, looking down into hic camera preparing the first shot.

He was totally unaware of what lay sleeping in the grass a few feet behind him.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:09 am

one sapphire eye blinked open; a grey wolf was tinkering with some funky piece of something or such. mumbling to himself with glee.

I imagined he was unaware of me. I knew he was close enough to see my residence, how hard could it be to miss the rough hewn fort like structure jutting from the hillside. I decided to sleep more; and hope he didn't step on me. I pondered ways of greeting him with minimal fright on his part. he was so small after all. not even the length of my muzzle. I supressed a snort, and drifted off to sleep again
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:58 am

It must have been 25 minutes I was standing there taking shot after shot from different angles, venturing down to the shore of the lagoon, perched on a rather steep slope to get many of them looking upwards. Ah, what excellent perspective.

When the last winding made several harsh grinding sounds, he knew the film roll was up. Quickly running his hands over his waist coat and trouser pockets, praying for another roll....aha! Pulling out the large cardboard tube, he whispered a silent thanks to whomever would be listening. Now, to reload....

looking around for a nice place to sit down, he heads back up the hill to the grassy knoll, still looking into his camera carefully winding the roll so as not to cause a jam.
Once back on the level ground, he sensed something ahead large enough to do the trick. He walked up and turned around, and slowly leaning back until he made contact, and rested his full weight against it.

As he pulled the strap over his head and set the camera onto his lap, his mind paying nearly all its attention to changing the roll, only a sliver left for everything else. Hmm, this sliver of thought said, this rock is hot! Doesn't feel like a rock though, more like....not...rock. And the last of his attention span was diverted to his camera, as the latch had stuck. Applying just a little pressure...now a little more....

He didn't notice the slight movement beneath him.
Last edited by zukezorin on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:13 am

I slowly forged my way to wakfulness as I feel a weight settle on my snout. I open one eye and smile softly, it seems the tinkering wolf was twiddling with his device while using my nose as a rock. I decide to have some fun with him, I hoped he didn't drop that crazy device in his lap.

I picked my head up, and yawned deeeply, squeezing my eyes shut, letting my tongue roll out. I sad up, grinning at the shock of the suprised wolf struggling to stay perched on my muzzle
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:50 am

Everthing lurched, the bottom fell out of his stomach; what was happening?

"Whaaa-" he gasped as he felt his bootclad feet leave the ground. His upper body twisted around and he got his first look at what he so flippantly chose as a stool. He only glanced; a split second of vision which told him tow things. It was green. It has scales.

He mind shut down at that point and fear took over; he bolted.

Startled by the fall, he hit the ground running and nearly fell forward. It was only about 2 feet but his irrational mind read it as giant.

Up until then, the camera had been lucky. The sheer force with which he flew off kept it plastered to his lap. Unfortunately, when he tried to stop, the camera had different plants. It arcd trhought he air and landed with a soft roll on the grass

Zee's returning rationality could only think one thing , joyfully "Not broken..."....however his joy soon turned to dread.

The camera didn't stop rolling.

Any previous attempts at slowing down were rued and cursed as his legs blurred in a desperate attempt to catch the camera. Faster! Faster! Balence was an illusion as he flew down the hill with abandon, the one he only moments ago ascended.

Three more steps, two more...zee pushed off with arms outstreched...so close...

He touched it. The pads of his fingers brushed the side, feeling the smooth cool paint on the lower lens, sliding along the metal surface, touching for an instant the soft yet uneven leather trim.

Then nothing. Only air. He watched with strangly detached eyes as the camer continuted to rotate through the air just in front of him, moving lower and lower, until it dissapeared behind a plume of water droplets. His mind had shut down by now, the only thing passing through his mind the images of the water droplets slowing moving upward and outward, and the surface growing larger and closer.

Only three seconds had passed since he jumped from his perch atop this moving living hill until-

*splash*
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:11 am

why oh why, do they always do that? and to think! he sat on my nose! the least he could do was say hello before he scrambled off, and then he went and lost his camera.

I follow after him as he scrambled down the hillside and ended up falling in the water. sigh; bet his toy went in there too.

I padded down the shallow side of the hill and slipped into the water. he'd gotten himself stuck on the wrong side of the falls. micro furs always did that. not enough momentum i suppose. I waded in and fished him out, putting him on the grass. I caught sight of his toy floating in the water and curled my tongue around it and lifting it out. most of the water pouring out of different hole. . . I gently drided it with puffs of fire; not enough to singe anything but make the water go away quickly. as I padded a shore I dried his toy off; hopefully it would not be damaged by water, as I suspected some things were

once i was satisfied; I layed the contraption on the grass nearby, and inspected the wolf; he seemed fine. I nudged him with a claw. he groaned faintly; I decided to lay down near by and wait for him to recover.
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:44 am

"Uggghh.." Zee felt stupid. Why did he have to jump in the water after the camera? Oh well, its just a camera. No great loss. I'm all wet

Hey lay there with his eyes closed trying to collect his scattered thoughts.

I was scared, wasn't I? Something scared...something-

Suddenly the memory flashed through his brain "green and scales", green and scales, green and scales, green and scales. His heart started racing.
Sitting up quickly, eyes still clenched shut.... "It can't be real" he mumbled through tight lips. Summoning his courage, he threw open his eyes.

Giant blue eyes set in a upon a large green snout stared back.

For the second time that day, his rational mind imploded and he frantically started scooting backwards on his hands.

Zee stopped. It took every last fragment of thought to do so, to temporarily override his instincts.

Soon after that the last vestiges of cognition evaporated and he simply sat there, leaning back on his arms staring wide eyed ahead and hyperventilating.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DioDraco » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:18 am

I was startled when he woke up; i'd leaned foreward after a moment to check on him when he decided to regain conciousness; but it seemed he was completely out of his wits.

I retreated adn allowed him time to regain his composure if that was possible. It seemed he would take time to adjust.

"I take it you've not met any dragons before then."
DioDraco
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:00 am

My jaw dropped.

"You can talk!?"

My voice cracked as I blurted this out. Slowly my breath was evening out though I was still shaking and sweating pure fear.

"A-are. y-y-you goint to k-kill me?" I stuttered
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Next

Return to Archive: Roleplay