The Big Challenge

Archive of the "Roleplay" forum.

The Big Challenge

Postby Silverfox » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:25 am

James T. Beckett smiled to himself as he flipped through the entertainment section of the newspaper. As the head of the nation's largest television broadcasting company, he was always interested in seeing how the general public views his programs. The "yes-men" were always grovelling at his desk on their knees with their tails between their legs, assuring him that the company was bringing in ratings and that he was the greatest thing since the lava lamp. He propped his feet up on his desk and scanned the second page for any news pertaining to him. It didn't take long to find the first headline.

JBeck Broadcasting Company sees rating slump

James read the short article out loud to himself.

"JBC's Hearts and Minds, a romatic sitcom aimed at college-aged furs, has reached an all-time low this season. Last night's episode saw the lowerst viewer turnout in recent history for any show in JBC's prime time lineup. Hearts and Minds was a huge gamble for JBC that looked like it would pay off, but something failed to click with the viewers and the show has received worse and worse reviews as the season progresses. There are rumors that JBC will pull the plug on the show soon, and judging by the recent reviews, it might be a good idea."

James threw the paper away in disgust and slammed his feet down on the carpeted floor of his office. JBC had been seeing a ratings slump for the last few months, and that show was supposed to bring back the viewers. Now, he was left with a sub-par prime-time lineup and nothing new on the agenda for at least three months. There had to be something that he could do to get the public's interest back into JBC. He rubbed his temples and stood up, walking to the window and staring down at the city below.

James sighed and leaned against the window, his bushy red tail swishing slowly as he pondered what to do. He never thought that his company would be in a position like this and it was irritating him. There was something out there, some gimmick he could do to divert public attention until he could get something more suitible into prime time. He rubbed a finger on the glass and closed his eyes.

After a moment, he sat back down at his desk and started writing a newspaper advertisment.

"Do you think you have what it takes to be a champion? Do you believe that you have the guts to be a contestant on the latest and greatest reality television show? The JBeck Broadcasting Company will be holding open auditions for its latest show The Big Challenge this Saturday at nine o'clock at the JBeck building in downtown New Haven. Come see if you've got what it takes to survive the biggest this world has to offer."

James set his pen down and laughed to himself. A reality television show, filmed live in front of a packed stadium, where hapless contestants are pitted against the world's best fighters. It was a surefire way to boost ratings until his "yes-men" came up with something worth watching. With a chuckle he picked up the phone and dialed the newspaper.

"Hello, New Haven Times?" he asked. "This is James Beckett of JBC. I've got something I'd like for you to print in your paper for tomorrow."

==========================================

This roleplay is, obviously, centered around a reality television show The Big Challenge, a program that will air live gladitorial combat to millions of viewers nationwide. Contestants are seeded randomly and will fight each other until someone gives up or dies. Your characters may fight each other or a NPC. Size-shifting is allowed, as is anything else except guns or explosives. Contestants who apply for the show will receive an application form where they will give details about their characters and abilities. Mr. Beckett is not picky about who comes on his new show, so anyone and everyone may join in. All I ask is that you not powerplay...

Think you have what it takes?

"Gory, gory, what a hell of way to die!"
Silverfox
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby darkraptor » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:28 pm

Taizen couldn't wait, eversince he'd seen and heard about the ad that there would be a competition that would aired on t.v. he couldn't do anything but wait restlessly the whole week. Finaly though, the day came as the phoenix headed out the door at seven that sunday morning heading toward the stadium on talon. As he made his walk all he could think about was who and what else would show up for the auditions, though pushing the thought aside, the eager avian jumped into the sky flying off.

Upon making it to the stadium he realized that he was half hour earlier than he would have expected and already a huge crowd had formed "Didn't expect such a big turn out."
Not even the souls of a thousand hearts can save her.
<a href="http://www.freewebs.com/rvbraptor">Dark Raptor</a>
darkraptor
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Angel_In_Disguise » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:51 am

[ooc: i shall join at a later date.. just recently did a lot of huge posts.. dun wanna fry my brain :P]
Being the last great destroyer, i fall to my knees and beg for the death that will not come.

Angel_In_Disguise
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby President Rufus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:38 am

A white tiger with blue stripes turned towards two other furs, the first a wolf the second a fox.
'Well lads,' Kogenta said waving the article at them, 'This looks like an easy way to fame and I get paid for doing what we do best.'
'Sounds good sir.' replied the wolf.
'none of that 'yes sir' stuff right? I'm no longer military, got replaced by that scum bag of a Major.'
'Alright but you still have loyal friends in the military and I know for sure that the squad is still with you.'
'Yeah right Kalen! After that disaster that was set up by that... that traitor, I'm good for nothing.'
This time the fox grabbed Kogenta and pulled him up close.
'I may still respect you but that don't mean I won't beat you if you're gonna go on like this. We're coming with you like it or not.'
'Alright Sorgan. Let's do this friend.'
I wonder how I ever managed to receive such loyal friends. If anyone told them to do something they would kill themselves before doing it, yet they listen to me... I'm don't really deserve their loyalty, not after all those men who died.
---------
So they went together as a group towards the stadium.
Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it.
President Rufus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Mega Mahoney » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:46 am

Mega looked at the newpaper. Hm, I could use some of that... I sure could use the winnings.

Seriously, was it HER fault that someone in the office got the directions wrong and she demolished 168 Funton Drive instead if 186? Yet SHE was supposed to pay for it!

Resolute, she heads off to the stadium.
Mega Mahoney
Attack of the 50ft
Attack of the 50ft

Postby Moon Drummer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:45 am

Moon eyes the ad and slowly smiles. He thinks of the reaction the fans would have to seeing a pro-bodybuilder wolf, stripped down to combat shorts, and pounding away at a bunch of so-called tough guys.

His fame on the muscle fur circuit would certainly prime the show's fanbase. He signs his name on the contract line and goes home to practice his forms.
Image Copyright Goldenwolf 2004
Moon Drummer
Rampage
Rampage

Postby President Rufus » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 am

The white tiger looked at his mates.
"Well it looks like we got in."
"No surprises there, we're military or at least we are and you're ex."
"Ah shut it Kalen, the guy just signed us on as soon as he found we were from the military. I'd say that we're destined to be entertainment."
"Hah you're lucky we're in a team and not against each other, you too old for this kind of stuff. You've been the old man* for ages."
Kogenta grabbed his friends firmly and went inside with them unsure what to expect.

*Old man: another term for the Commanding Officer.
Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it.
President Rufus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Silverfox » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:35 pm

The announcer at the New Haven Memorial Stadium tapped at his microphine before beginning his announcment to the already crowded stadium. Thousands of fans had trekked here to witness the first gladiatorial challenge in recent memory. JBC news vans and cameras were spread all over, waiting to be the first to capture the event. The Big Challenge was beginning to unfold.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the announcer started. "Welcome to the first ever Big Challenge gladitorial contest! You are about to witness the first in a series of gladitorial challenges that will pit two fighters against each other until there is only one left standing! Contestants will fight in a series of one-on-one contests, and the winner will move on to the next round on combat. Our first combatants will be taking the field shortly, so stay in your seats and prepare yourselves for battle!

"Our contestants will now choose their team, either Red or Black, and head to thier respective locker rooms to select their weapons. Each team member will wear team-specific uniforms and will be allowed to wear armor of their choosing as long as it conforms with the rules of the match. Once team and weapon selections are finished, the first pair will be called to the arena floor to do battle. If the winner of a match does not kill thier opponent, it will be up to the audience and the viewers at home to determine if he lives or dies, so be ready with your voting devices, folks! New arrivals may select their team and weapons as they arrive and will be seeded accordingly.

"Fighters, select your teams and head to your rooms. You will be joined by your teams coach once you're settled in. Get to it! The Big Challenge has begun!"

"Gory, gory, what a hell of way to die!"
Silverfox
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby President Rufus » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:30 pm

(OOC: How do I answer this?)
"Hmmm, having heard what that guy said let's go for black team seeing as our army uniforms are spec ops night mission equipment the black of night camo will go well with 'black team'"
"Sure."
"Let's do this guys."
Kogenta, Kalen, and Sorgan all ticked black team as their team of choice and waited to see what to do next. They handed their forms back to the person at the desk.
President Rufus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Moon Drummer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Moon signed on to the red team and found himself alone in the locker room. He looked over the array of armor and weapons. All very impressive.

The clause in the contract about possible death and dismemberment had him slightly nervous. But he'd read up on the old-style Roman gladiator contests as preperation for this one. He'd be ready.

Moon drank some water and stretched while he waited for his coach.
Image Copyright Goldenwolf 2004
Moon Drummer
Rampage
Rampage

Next

Return to Archive: Roleplay