Hurricane Sandy

A space for the inevitable off-topic discussions.

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Postby zekoalives » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:49 am

Well, that's good, at least. I guess it's just gonna take a long while to recover from such a disaster. Good thing you have an architect as a father. That will always come in handy, much like an electrician would. I just hope he has a whole good team under his belt to help things move faster.
"These boots weren't made for walking... doesn't mean I can't kick your ass..."
 /l、 NYAN!
(°
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

Love? For fools and romantics. And I'm a fool. COUNT ME IN! (also kinda dead)
zekoalives
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby FoxChess » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 am

Figured I'd give an update. The house was gutted, dried, cleaned, de-molded, and inspected. We're about to start the process of putting it back together. Plumber's coming in the next few days, and electrician is coming next week, after which we start putting the walls back together. And eventually trying to buy replacement furniture and the like. So yeah, things are moving in a positive motion towards getting home now...

Current predictions put us back in our home by March.
FoxChess
Site Admin
Site Admin

Six Months Later...

Postby FoxChess » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Six months to the day since Sandy went through and dumped a couple feet of water in my house. How are things?

Well I'm not home yet, but we're going to move back in soon. The house is in an... interesting state. The walls are up, but the floors aren't down. Some walls are painted, others just have primer on them. One bathroom is slightly functional, the other is currently storage. We have appliances ordered, but we haven't really touched furniture.

And we'll be moved in, most likely, by my Birthday (May 13th) no matter what, as my Sister is coming home from college the weekend of the 17th. And she's not coming back to where we're currently staying.

I'm still in my Uncle's... me, my parents, my uncle, his wife, his 3-year-old daughter, and my cat (Who turns 3 in two days). It's been... stressful. So many people living close together, sometimes I think I only managed to stay so calm by embroiling myself into the internet and the computer. Though that got a bit trickier recently, my 7-year-old laptop's HD failing in a bad way (Though still slightly functional) meaning I'm now stuck on my PC. And since I'm still sharing a room with my parents I have to put a blanket over my head whenever I go over my sites or such. Yes I'm a little paranoid there.

Still... things are progressing. Soon we'll be home again. It won't be 100% repaired, the furniture will still be mostly missing, and the doors probably won't be up yet... but I'll have my own room, and we'll be home.
FoxChess
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FoxChess » Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Not all the doors are in, the furniture is missing, one bathroom is out of order, none of the cabinets or countertops are present, not all the walls are painted, there aren't any blinds in the house, there's paper covering the floors, the only sink is in the laundry room and all my stuff is in the attic...
...but dammit, I'm sleeping at home tonight.
Happy Birthday to me.
FoxChess
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Collateral Damage