Just a quick reaction to 'A Good Man goes to War' (Spoiler~)

A space for the inevitable off-topic discussions.

Just a quick reaction to 'A Good Man goes to War' (Spoiler~)

Postby Toucan Sundae » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Wow, the press either loved or hated 'A Good Man goes to War.' But it was kind of an obvious 'surprise' at the end of the episode (from that 'water that runs through a forest is called a river' and the Amy pregnancy thing, along with the heavy River Song episode opening that made me, and one of my friends, atleast feel that the little girl, if not Amy's daughter, is River Song). I've not been a big fan of this series (especially the series opener, Curse of the Black Spot and that god awful Rebel Flesh/The Almost People) even with the very promising advert and the Christmas Special.

I was really expectant when I saw the Cybermen, after their brief cameo in the finale of Series 5 (with no explanation to why they were back), I wanted to see a Cyber-based episode. With the quick thirty second part for them (obviously just to show off Doctor Who's CGI abilities), the episode led me to even more disappointment.

Why do that introduction to that gay couple if you're just going to kill one? It would have been so much more fantastic if Lorna was Jenny. The Doctor calling up debts, to me, would have led me to believe he would go EVERYWHERE and EVERYWHEN to save Amy. Not just one Sontaran, two Judoon, several Silurians, Rory, that fat blue guy, a pirate with his very ill son and one Victorian lesbian.

It was brilliant to see Rory dominating the proceedings during this episode, though. Okay, dominating for three or four minutes until he shrank again when the Doctor and Amy came back.

So River Song is Melody Pond. Okay, that's nice, but not much. It's not really worth waiting six weeks to view (seven for you Americans, I believe), I don't feel at all connected to River Song or Amy yet, so I'm meant to give a shit that the two are related? The big reveal I thought this episode would have is that there are loads of Time Lords out there, or them killing off one of the main cast.

Also, wait, why didn't the Doctor go to get Canton? Or Captain Jack? I think they'd be much more useful in a fight than Rory and some fat dude.

And another question, where did ALL of those Silurians go?

Apart from the no reason for killing all of the Silence, the lack of plot and major plot holes in 'Curse of the Black Spot', the Ood that does nothing, another plotless two-parter, everything being Amy heavy all the time, Rory always dying, minor characters whose death is meant to be sad gaining no depth, the fact that 'The Doctor's Wife' could have been so much more but was still the best episode of the first half of the series, and everything that happened (bar Arthur Darvill, Mat Smith and Alex Kingston's acting) in 'A Good Man goes to War,' this series has been brilliant.
This statement is false.
Toucan Sundae
Getting Bigger
Getting Bigger

Postby Rattus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 am

Doctor who is The Young And The Restless for dorks. Watch good sci-fi instead.
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods
to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!"
Rattus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Daithean » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 pm

What's "good sci fi" on TV?

Genuine question. I agree that since it's revivial, most of Doctor Who has been melodramatic, 'love conquers all' tripe where people choose to kill themselves in ever more dramatic ways to solve a problem rather than look for some duct tape and a length of hose or something and even the daleks have become shrieking drama queens (rather than monotone, gloating drama queens), but the last season or so of Doctor Who has been good sci fi in it uses unlikely and impossible situations as a metaphor or reference for something else and is more than just rubber monsters and computer graphics.
Daithean
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Rattus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:22 am

Daithean wrote:What's "good sci fi" on TV?

Resolution action helps, especially if a show isn't meant to be episodic.

but the last season or so of Doctor Who has been good sci fi in it uses unlikely and impossible situations as a metaphor or reference for something else and is more than just rubber monsters and computer graphics.

Allegory
dear, it's the word you're looking for. If allegory makes good sci-fi then pretty much all sci-fi is good. Not saying some of the best sci-fi hasn't had strong allegorical bits, heck all of the Martian Chronicle is basically white man's trip to the Americas... in space, but that's nothing new... especially not for Cybermen-are-commies/Daleks-are-fascists Doctor Who.

I think it's just waaaaaaaay overdone. Then again, the originally Star Trek would be tripe too if the tried to keep it in production from the 60s to now. Not that Star Trek was even that great, to be honest. Fun, but really lazy at times.
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods
to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!"
Rattus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zukezorin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:02 am

Doctor Who, like any franchise, has fan baggage that comes with it. I never saw the older shows or heard the radio serials and only knew it existed in an offhand manner, so the 'new' Doctor Who was original to me.

The show has it's ups and it's downs, and personally I'd give it more of the latter than the former. A lot of the episodes are rubbish and not even worth watching, BUT there are several gems hidden in there as well.

Overall I enjoy the show, if for no other reason than it's refreshingly different from the 'flying in space in the future' theme that so saturates the genre. Different doesn't always equal good, but it's a good place to start.
Z. Zorin
zukezorin
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Return to Collateral Damage