So is the site going to die a slow death? Where's the owner?

The big general discussion board.

Re: So is the site going to die a slow death? Where's the ow

Postby FoxChess » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Leaves me wondering if I'm the only active mod left...

Admittedly, there were a few other mods hired, but me, I said from the beginning I'd only be moderating/focusing on the chatty channels and the SFW Art forum. I never went to the other ones, so I left them to the other mods. If they've vanished as well...

This site really has been dying a slow death for years now, as there's been less and less interest in this place. The only real activity there's been is me clearing out the spambots in the aformentioned sections.
FoxChess
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FoxChess » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:27 am

Aye, I did a runthrough of the non-adult sections this morning. The one I missed may have popped up afterwards. As for Bennie... I have no idea where he vanished off to.
FoxChess
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bennie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 am

You know, I'd like to say "I've been lurking here all along, surprise!" but it would be a blatant lie.

I've hardly been poking my nose in here for a long, long time. Part of that is the pace of my life, and part of that is forums tending to get less traffic over other forms like IM, Discord, image boards, etc.

Still, this place is one heck of a spam magnet.

The forum software is old and creaky, and probably needs to be shut down. The questions is what to put up in its place, if any? What would folks want.

I look back through my messages and emails and it's a long list of "I'll get to it" projects. Not sure if talking about making another one is helpful or not.

What do folks think they'd like?
bennie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chessman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 am

I really miss the rps in here. I liked this site the best for that.
Making my next plan!
chessman
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby bennie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 am

So about the RPs... should there just be a dedicated service for that? I've not messed with F-list's site, but is a forum or BB setup good for RP?
bennie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chessman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:40 pm

It seems as though the Rp section is fine but a lot of people are using it to ask for personal rps rather than forum rps. I'm not really sure if there's anything that could be done about that. Others will probably have better ideas than me. I'm a die hard that refuses to give up on here.
Making my next plan!
chessman
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby -F74M3F0X » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 am

One thing this place has for it is it's antiquity. A lot of big names have a lot of memories here, and I know it's one of the oldest macro forums out there. I don't know how BigFurs and LavaDome5 compare, but those places aren't getting much traffic, either, from what I can tell. It might not be bad to also connect a twitter, telegram, or discord group to here, so people can get enticed from the 'new' and get shown the forum again. But those are just what I've seen other places do.
"... Don't be distracted by the 'what if's', 'should of's', and 'if only's'. The one thing you choose yourself, that is the truth of your universe." -Kamina, TTGL.
-F74M3F0X
Gojira
Gojira

Postby kool kitty89 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 am

If nothing else, there's tons of old art and writing posted here (and old discussions) that at least a static archive would be nice, but then there's also always new jumps in activity, potentially triggered by shifts elsewhere online. (albeit the Tumblrpocalypse scenario doesn't technically impact text/writing content, which was what macrophile was most active in most recently, but stuff like that still drives platform/community migration) Granted forum discussion type comments aren't very bloggy, aside from maybe some Q&A type ones, but long-form commentary/discussion certainly starkly splits users between BBs/forums and the likes of twitter ... plus those who like ongoing topics that don't just dead-end and get locked at archival relatively quickly (like reddit or chan-style boards) pretty much fall back on old style forums/bbs as well.

Discord is more an alternative to other chatroom and IM systems (or even MUCKs) not to forums.

Albeit the somewhat broader functionality of something like mastodon instances (without some of the dekstop-browser-bloat and character limits of twitter) might be more competitive with BB style forums, they're still better for more exclusive/private stuff where forums are a lot better for public discourse and 'stuff likely to turn up in search engine results'

Places like Eka's Portal or GiantessCity still have pretty active forums, and the community here was/is generally more friendly than the latter at very least and had more overlap with the former's userbase. And the bigfurs forums are dead (twice over, with the original forums in limited access static archive state) though the IRC is still active, and Arilin's giantsclub forums died due to software stability collapse of a dead-end fork while the old PHP-BB still seems to be managing with macrophile and even avoided (apparently) some of the issues that various transition through vbulletin versions caused with some other forums I'm familiar with, or migration from vbulletin to another platform.

Though on a side-note to the forum RPers here, eka's portal has an interesting interactive story system well suited to multi-user contributed round robin style narratives. (arguably better overall than writing.com's system, but also without all the ads/paid-membership issues and random risks of a story/account suddenly disappearing/being deleted due to idleness of the original creator ... or shift from paid to free user status or some other weirdness)

Forum RPs on macrophile seem to mostly be round-robin-ish narratives very similar to branching interactive stories, but limited to linear progress. (and a few RPs that stalled out might've done better had they actually had branching points ... lots of cases of 'oh I wish we'd done that instead' that could've been filled without starting a whole new RP or awkwardly retconning things) Still other cases where that wouldn't work, or be a lot more difficult due to large scenes with large numbers of narrators/characters together. (though that also just gets difficult to follow and respond to ... albeit it's still much easier in long-form forum RP than realtime chat style stuff)
kool kitty89
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby zekoalives » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:40 am

I dunno. I rarely RP anymore, anyway, since getting a girlfriend.
"These boots weren't made for walking... doesn't mean I can't kick your ass..."
 /l、 NYAN!
(°
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

Love? For fools and romantics. And I'm a fool. COUNT ME IN! (also kinda dead)
zekoalives
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Return to Macro Chat