Introducing: The Giganti.ca Forums!

The big general discussion board.

Postby DreamspinnerSethan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:27 am

Well, I like the notion of encouraging more verbose posts than "Nice!" "That's cool!" "I'd f*** her!", because people might have useful criticisms to say. However, that's not being asked for here. What's being asked for is a "longer post" which could be every bit as useful as someone copy-pasting "crap" over and over again for a page and a half in Word before transferring it to a post. It's completely conceivable for someone to make a long, well-crafted and correct post which says NOTHING about the piece, and according to the administration that'd be perfectly fine.

It also encourages people not to post replies, which in turn leads to the same sort of thing happening to stories THERE which happens HERE - two thousand views, no replies. That's not an incentive for writers to participate, especially if they're insecure about their works (like myself).

Secondly, I don't like the condescension from an admin, most of all. It's only missing the words "you waste of space" to really drive home the unwelcome-ness of it all. If that wasn't intended to be read into it, the last two sentences should have been clipped off before the message was sent; then it doesn't come off so badly.

If you don't like reading the previous, I can distill it down:

"Way to scare off casual patrons. B+ for effort. Not joining there."
Don't mind me, I'm just killing time until I die in the most amusing way possible.
DreamspinnerSethan
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby HypeEnlite » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:34 am

I see nothing wrong with encouraging constructive criticism, or discouraging one-word posts.

The only wrong thing I saw was how the admin said "can you not spare 5 secs of brain power"

But then again, you announced to them that you won't be posting anymore because you didn't like their policy of being less lenient on posts that offer no insight.
HypeEnlite
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby SenorPhrog » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:40 pm

Mammagamma wrote:I see nothing wrong with encouraging constructive criticism, or discouraging one-word posts.

The only wrong thing I saw was how the admin said "can you not spare 5 secs of brain power"

But then again, you announced to them that you won't be posting anymore because you didn't like their policy of being less lenient on posts that offer no insight.

This is a very good assessment of the situation. We make very clear in our rules that we discourage low-content and low effort posts--there would be no point in promoting ourselves as a community for artists if our threads are filled with generic 'thank you's and 'great job's.

The term "one-word response" is simply a misnomer--Dreamspinner is absolutely right that longer posts could be just as empty, and we of course discourage any kind of zero-content comments equally. It's just that it's pretty much impossible to say anything critical about art in one word, so those kinds of posts are much easier to single out.

We're trying to see to it that every posted work that had effort put into it will receive a good, contributive comment. As far as we're concerned, though, comments like "nice" are tantamount to getting no response at all--it's positive reinforcement, but that's it. Giganti.ca is about creative support and development, and we don't feel we can get that from empty posts.

This policy may initially discourage activity somewhat, and we understand that risk. However, we feel like it's the right thing to do. If you think about it, our requirement isn't unreasonable at all--simply tell us what you like or dislike about the work. Even a single sentence which expresses this is enormously more helpful to an artist than one that doesn't. If someone isn't capable of even that, well, it is disappointing.

I apologize if you felt offended by the way this issue was handled, Cye-chan. However, I hope you understand why we feel it's so important to enforce this policy. We still welcome your contribution at giganti.ca, but we will continue to hold our members to these standards. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to this issue publically; we openly welcome any further discussion of our policies, either on or off our forums. Take care :)
SenorPhrog
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Mega Mahoney » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:56 am

I shall belatedly add my encouragement. There's a lack of good places to go; Blar's forums used to be a tenuous best of the bunch in terms of signal to noise, but it was a limited focus. M-phile... well, to be honest, some days it has too much noise; it's also really busy, hard for me to track on a regular basis.

So another forum is not uncalled for, especially on a quality site/software (as opposed to a free, multi-popup spamming site like some previous attempts).
Mega Mahoney
Attack of the 50ft
Attack of the 50ft

Postby TesconWhitepaw » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:42 am

Amusement.

~Tesc.
We are all made from the baset of elements
And that is why they show so clearly.
MW -

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more. - Mark Twain
TesconWhitepaw
Gojira
Gojira

Postby SenorPhrog » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:32 am

Arousal.

SenorPhrog
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Chaswari » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Finally, the drama! What took you guys so long?

Hmm, so who am I going to side with? The whiny drama queens or the pompous windbags?
Chaswari
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby DreamspinnerSethan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Pompous windbags? We're one short of nine, and we need a catcher.
Don't mind me, I'm just killing time until I die in the most amusing way possible.
DreamspinnerSethan
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby Rattus » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:28 pm

Ooo! Oooooo! Shortstop! I wanna be shortstop!
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods
to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!"
Rattus
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

Postby SenorPhrog » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:12 am

Ah, but therein lies the problem:

We're playing hockey

SenorPhrog
Extinction Level Event
Extinction Level Event

PreviousNext